Brexit

And then when people inevitably dont like a policy they come up with, do we replace Her Majesty?.. I dont think so!

This is why direct rule by Monarchy will never happen. There is too great a risk that Rupublicans will manipulate the system to their ends.

Down with Rupublicanism.

1 Like

Also. Better dog poo MPs we can replace at will than lose the tried and tested method of parliamentary democracy via monarchy.

We also don’t have a written constituation. In the US their forces swear alliegence to the US and upholding the constitution not a individual President. In the UK the Oath of Alliegence is to the Sovereign in Crown Person and Dignity, no politicians are mentioned. This is why any PM except Churchill is only an honorary Group Captain.

Eh?

…

Read history, any PM only serves at the instruction of the Sovereign under a Royal Perogative.

I’m well aware of that bit, it was the group captain bit that was confusing me.

They are accorded honorary ranks, Heseltine was an honorary Group Captain when Sec State of Defence, Penny Mourdent who is a reservist Lt in the RN was promoted to honorary Lt Cdr when she was the Sec of State fron defence by the Queen personally,

Same as the business leaders in 601 squadron R Aux AF or Carol Vorderman as a Group Captain.

Doesn’t matter why, the fact is he did it for his own reasons and doesn’t think it’s right now. Hypocrisy of the 1st order.

What should be remembered is that until not so many years ago Parliament’s summer holiday lasted until the middle of October, after they’d had their junkets. Also we have a new govt and normally they have a Queen’s Speech to outline their plans. However the over-riding thing is a large group of MPs who don’t seem to understand the democratic process, who voted massively to envoke A50, only to not go with the eu’s leaving deal …. ooops … May’s deal and have no idea what they want in its place, except get dragged further into the FUBAR that the eu is becoming. Member states varying states of economic and or political disarray, which is going to kill the eu project.
I smile at the naïvete of those who don’t like the idea of “No Deal” as I imagine they don’t go with the first offer put on the table and would want the option to walk away.

1 Like

I’d suggest Johnson is also proroguing Parliament for his own reasons, and perceived personal gain, as well. Two wrongs etc etc.

The concerning thing is Johnson seems unable to tell the country what his plan is for 31 October and beyond, not that the very anti-EU crowd are letting that worry them.

Same could be said about the Corbinister. Against everything Bojo says, but has no plan to implement should he be lucky enough to get in after an election.

Very true. Is it any wonder faith in our politicians appears to be waning?

I’m very much coming to the view that the social and political damage being done by the bad faith on all sides around brexit is far more serious in terms of of its long term impact on our political sensibilities around democracy, representation, law than even the most cataclysmic predictions of the fall out of a no deal brexit.

I simply don’t see the point of another delay - parliament hasn’t coalesced around any kind of proposal of what it will accept, and it looks increasingly like ‘we can’t leave without a deal because of X and Y downsides’ means ‘if we can’t leave without a deal, and we refuse to accept any leaving deal that a government negotiates, then we don’t leave - yay!’

I remain convinced that if we do leave on a no deal basis on 31st October then things will get difficult in a member of sectors in the economy, and that while the dead won’t line the streets and we won’t be eating rats and drinking rainwater, there will be shortages and significant price rises and job losses, but it’s now very much at the point of choosing between two evils: economies recover, political systems tend not to.

4 Likes

Corbynster…I get a but touchy with people spelling it correctly

2 Likes

It’s really been the same up north since the independence referendum. Constant mud slinging and name calling. People cant see any of the real problems we face and discuss other than turning it into a pro or anti independence debate followed by the abuse

2 Likes

I absolutely agree with you, however if this were to happen and the queen were to pass an the next monarch were to be some sort of evil and corrupt the country who would be in power then to stop them. This is why we created parliament. But one solution to this is that the monarch gets more of a say and gets involved so we can just end this madness.

No one has a clue as the eu won’t let us do or arrange anything until we’ve left, as for us to do that, wouldn’t fit their awkward git agenda. The remoaners have not come up with an alternative and just want to go back to the subservient style of government we’ve been dragged into since the 80s. TBH I don’t know why we have the pretence of national governments as they are toothless, given not adhering to an eu law or directive est interdit or ist verboten. If we were arranging trade deals from the moment 3 years ago we’d have been clear of the charade that is the eu a long time ago and doing our own thing.

I wonder all these saying “no deal” is bad, have ever done anything where the terms are laid out by the person in front of them and not said no don’t like that and just walked away … ie no deal. I’m coming to getting a new car and I’m going in with the cash to buy and if they don’t come up with an offer that makes me happy, knowing that they are not the only car dealer means I have an ace up my sleeve.

With leaving the eu I never expected there to be a need for a “deal”, leave and sort things our afterwards. When they spoke of it I expected “Brussels” and “Westminster” to meet in the middle, not “Brussels” dictate the terms and then refuse point blank to negotiate. Although the way they treat David Cameron’s request, their approach has not surprised in the slightest and if anything demonstrates why we should be free of a tyrannical and dictatorial political system, with only the faintest nod to democracy.

Frankly we just leave, we have given the eu enough chances to come round but they haven’t so it’s good-bye, wiedersehen, au revoir.

I feel Boris Johnson has been doing what May should have been doing since 2016. It’s just a shame there are MPs that are gutless individuals with no vision whatsoever and seem to think they know better than the UK electorate. The concern is that in GE the leave votes will be split and we get a weak, wishy-washy government made up of the fraudulent wasters who have failed to get behind leaving the eu as instructed by a referendum. Leaving with the eu’s deal means not leaving the eu, we should just tell them to poke it, as being part of the eu doesn’t work…

4 Likes

Except you’re not just walking away without a new car, you’ve already given the dealership your old one for free. The large dealership next door has seen this and knows you’re now in a more desperate need for a car. You also don’t only want one car - at some point you have to buy a car from the first dealership (the one you messed about and insulted for 3 years) because they are the only provider of a specific model that you have to have. They know that they have what you want and aren’t overly impressed at how you treated their rep. They know that you need their car or you’re going to have a tougher time living.

The smaller dealerships might clamour for your business, but no matter how many cars you buy from them you just won’t be able to replace the benefits of the car you gave away.

2 Likes

Who said he had gven the car away?

Well this changes everything… I didn’t realise that leaving without a new deal meant we kept the old one!

:roll_eyes:

You can not have a car and just walk away and do deal with the wife to use her car, and keep looking. It will be awkward for a while, but you eventually get another car with a better deal.

Put this into getting out of the eu, life will potentially be a bit awkward, but those looking to trade with us will want something sooner rather than later. The thing to remember many of us have got through some really awkward times in our lives and we are still here.

1 Like