BPSS etc

I have no issue with the completion of BPSS, kinda waiting til I have 3 years at my current employer to keep it simple.

I’m concerned by the 5 year rule

@bob1 no reference to policy, just a line in an email.

That’s normal… Not having to do SC as well though just for a MOD 90.

I had SC before BPSS so now have both?

Yes, but you should have had BPSS first, it’s just that the ATC had forgotten about / had never been told about it.

Don’t all uniform staff need the SC anyway? (Or is that just units that hold weapons?)

Just staff involved with shooting.

I knew BPSS was required for new MOD90s, but an SC requirement is a new one on me. Could it be a misunderstanding?

First time I’ve heard that BPSS is time limited.

As for SC, everyone should be SC cleared, clears up a serious misunderstanding within the MOD.

I was aware that SC was only valid for (generally) 10 years, but as BPSS only really covers the very basic checks I can’t see why that needs to be repeated more frequently. A DBS would hopefully cover any criminal record activity and it’s unlikely the right to work or identity would change in 3 years…

If we have SC then we have to report any material changes as part of maintaining it.

Bpss is a one off.
Sc valid for 10 years
Dbs valid for 5, but from this year the corps wants them every 3 years.

This used to be the policy but probably about two years ago that changed to require all staff to hold SC, not just those in the shooting world.
I don’t think the push to get it done it going very well though.

I’m not sure who came up with the notion that BPSS will be required every 5 years.
It confirms identity*… Once it been done once and we know who someone is there is no need to do it again.

*It actually confirms employment eligibility (such as nationality and immigration status), employment history, identity, and criminal record.

Actually no. The DBS check is valid for as long as the agency doing the check wishes it to be. Most simply agree that every 3 years is best practice.

Yeah ok…
Was valid for 5 years with RAFAC, now 3.

Got a reference for that? Outside of NI I’ve never heard anything about it.

1 Like

Ditto. I know a few wings that have decided that are going to do that but no RAFAC policy on it or it would be on the mandated checks.

So why are Wings allowed to impose policy where there isn’t one from HQAC?

It’s part of the mitary command ‘ethos’ that we’ve inherited. They shouldn’t do it, and in North region, if you believe your wing is making up extra policies, you can challenge it via the regional commandant.

Are you new here?

4 Likes

My understanding is that they foresee issues in the future where personnel do not have SC so have opted to do it early in the CFAVs career and then just maintain it as opposed to trying to rush it when the CFAV requests it for some reason.

If everyone has it then there is no difference between one and the other making it easier to manage.

Hmmm. This much later I’m sure I have probably long since deleted the email.
I’ll have a look though just in case.

I’ve got an IBN from November 18 saying all new staff will be BPSS, uniformed applying for or updating MOD90 need to do BPSS, anyone applying for SC need to do BPSS, CIs with BSVR do not need to upgrade unless applying for SC.

However, I’m struggling to find the original on Sharepoint…

(found it: https://rafac.sharepoint.com/sites/interim/Lists/ACO%20Announcements/DispForm.aspx?ID=703)

JSP814 states BPSS for all ATC and SC for shooty bods. Interestingly, all CCF (RN/RM) require SC, and all CCF (ARMY/RAF) officers too.

ACTO 20 PI103 States:

By the Pink Tutu rule, the listed personnel are the only CFAVs requiring SC (previously CTC)
This aligns with what JSP440 said the last time I read it, though it may be worth checking a current version.

Perhaps wings have, for flexibility, decided to SC all staff but it does not seem to be a HQ/MOD requirement for the ATC and won’t pose a problem unless somebody assumes that it is.