Blue Wings

Major, like myself is in SW region. I’ve had 4 also go through it

I’ve had 8 do PTT and managed to get 3 of them flying to complete the process.

The phrase ‘managed to get …’ is not a good one, it suggests a struggle. This should be an automatic follow on and if it isn’t there is a problem with the system. When there are problems on the roads, buses or trains, people might ‘manage’ to get to work.

The last thing in the ATC we should be managing to do is get youngsters flying.

1 Like

I think we are on track there!

I would have thought that with the limited availability of flying /gliding every flight should be working towards the new PTS that they’ve decided to introduce. From what people have said on here I think we should be aiming to get a point where PTT is required (and easily available) before you do your first flight.

Easily available suggests to me no more than a 30-45 minute drive, anything more than that and it isn’t easily available.

If I understand the system correctly the PTT set ups are at the all new gliding schools, well our proposed one is a 3-3½ hour drive (one way) and the AEF is 2½-3 hour drive (one way) in a different place. I think rather than making flying at the centre of what we do and should do, they are making it less and less accessible.

Maybe HQAC should have provided every squadron with a basic flight sim (including all the bits to run it) that this could be done on, rather than having squadrons, ours included, doing their own thing. Let’s be honest it seems there is a lot of money slushing around the gliding set up for the last 3½ years that should have been re-directed.

Yep, & £250K was a grant from the RAF Charitable Trust (“Part Task Trainer (Glider Sim”) for the PTTs!!

2015-2016 grants

Now, as it is listed under a different year, that a further £250K (“VGS Simulators - Tranche 1 and 2”), that makes £500K in total thrown at the PTTs!!!

2014-2015 grants

We built our Sim from a £1500 grant from HQAC.

We would have quite happily taken on the PTT instead if they were built in a Tutor format.

Cadets that visit us also get a trip in the Sim so 2 for the price of 1 in some respect

If there was money for 20 PTT’s (25k each) then assuming the Viking PTT’s will go to CGS/VGS and one Vigilant PTT to Syerston, one to Topcliffe that leaves circa 8 Vigilant PTT’s for AGS to utilise?
I know of one at Stafford, but am not aware of where the other 7 have gone?
There should be plenty of PTT’s out there, it just needs coordinating effectively to give the cadets the opportunities?

I think one Vigi PTT is at Woodvale but is not yet up and running

1 Like

ACMB garages?

1 Like

They are with the Aviation Ground Squadrons

611AGS - RAF Marham
633AGS - MOD Stafford
634AGS - RAF St Athan
663AGS - RAF Lossiemouth
664AGS - Aldergrove

Syerston and Topcliffe also have multiple PTTs

One at Weathersfield (but they will be moving location at some stage.

We fly out of Wittering, need I say more?

1 Like

Not really. Same boat.

Does anyone know if Kenley has one?

615VGS has indeed got a PTT

1 Like

They do, based inside the Sqn compound.

Been there, done that. Instructors are good, they get the best out of the cadets no matter how experienced they are (cadets, that is, not instructors).

1 Like