Blue Wings Ground Training

This still applies…or at least it should.

Yes, that is how we do it. We had to jump through some hoops to get the flight sim approved and a CFAV and an MOI cadet attended a Blue ATP deliverers course with the Wing Aviation Officer. All our awards have to go through him.

What flight sim are you using?

We havent set anything up yet although it is being discussed with our civ comm and I am keen to get this up and running asap so that we can get our cadets Blue Wings.

This (should) be standard across all the wings.

I’m not an expert on our flight sim, so I couldn’t tell you what we have apart from it being very old and about to get replaced. What I do know, however, is that there is a very low requirement for the Blue ATP. You can achieve it with a PC and joystick as long as it has the right software.

2 Likes

We are advised P3D v4 or above as this the recommended one from 2FTS when we deliver TTT courses at Wing.

Main reason using that instead of X-Plane is simply you cannot have an external view showing in the same screen when your internal as that Is needed for lesson 2 of the ATS.

1 Like

FSX is the other one recommended by the Corps.

There are also skins available (for free) that let you import the Grob Viking T1 with RAFAC livery into the sim for FSX (and P3D I believe but I haven’t managed to get my hands on a copy to try yet)

1 Like

Can I ask where you got that staff cadet requirement from? That’s not something I’ve ever seen before and would invalidate a lot of the blue wings trainers I know…

There is no mandated software.

There are some advantages to Prepar3D for more advanced simulation & lessons but both X-Plane and FSX are suitable for the PTS. X-Plane is a more modern application than FSX (which is now discontinued).

I haven’t tried the new Microsoft flight sim due to its hardware requirements.

Skins for X-Plane too.

It’s not. They don’t actually specify MOI, iirc, they just need to be signed off.

Obviously, it helps their teaching standards if they are, but I don’t think they need to be.

I did my latest batch using FSX.

Works just well to demonstrate the effects.

There is from 2FTS to AGSs when delivering the TTTs and that is P3D …

How many TLA can one CFAV enter in to 1 ACC post? :joy:

5 Likes

That’s a separate thing though, for Cadet training nothing mandated afaik?

You only have 2 as one is technically an FLA but they could all be MLAs depending on the SOPs within your AOR and the direction from your SME, WHQ, RHQ and HQAC?

7 Likes

We have a SQEP who deals with the SME regarding ATP TIs to produce LPs of the content and create VAs for our VDUs so our FS OIC can NFA from their POV while assuring the WSO we’ll hit our KPIs on our core deliverables.

2 Likes

It was an early RAvnO ‘minimum standard’ but it’s been given a damn good ignoring recently.

1 Like

It’s a bit silly when QAICs are allowed to do it and you can do that when you’re 16?

There’s no age limit for MOI, just need to be be First Class

2 Likes