Big Announcement Monday?

I must admit that when the Commandant spoke of a big sporting personality to become an ambassador for the ACO at our Wing Conference, she was very impressed with them and very excited. I thought she’d got David Beckham!

Still, Sir Chris Hoy should have some spare time now, and as publicity stunts go it’s quite a good one. Anything that can attract more cadets to us is a good thing in my eyes!

As expected, the “big” news is the least exciting thing to happen to me all week.

I’ve never even heard of him.

Thank god not!

Good move I suppose… depends how he’s used (for want of a better way of putting it!)

Can’t say I’m overly excited… thought it would be some move to reduce the administrative burden I have to deal with… guess I’ll have to wait for that! :wink:

[quote=“Perry Mason” post=6511]Good move I suppose… depends how he’s used (for want of a better way of putting it!)

Can’t say I’m overly excited… thought it would be some move to reduce the administrative burden I have to deal with… guess I’ll have to wait for that! ;)[/quote]
RC(N) is to be the chair of the “Admin Burden Reduction Team”. He announced it last week on the Tweetbook.

I think it is a good thing and a great move by HQ. Someone as high profile as Sir Chris will be excellent for raising awareness of the organisation - well I guess that bit depends on what HQ can get him to do I suppose.

It’s a bit comical that the person that gave us Ultifail is in charge of finding ways to REDUCE our admin!

But that’s for another thread :wink:

Can’t wait to see which events he’s wheeled out at

In the words of Jim Royale "Big announcement my A***, I beenwaiting on tenterhooks for something exiting…SOmething that would be of great benefit to the Cadets.

Oh well I guess we could ask him to organisea sponsred ride for much needed Squadron funds.

I sometimes drink in the same pub as Dave Gilmour from Pink Floyd…perhaphs I should see if they’ll give me an Honourary Group Captain post…

But the cadets won’t know who he is :wink:

[quote=“thetopcat69” post=6519]In the words of Jim Royale "Big announcement my A***, I beenwaiting on tenterhooks for something exiting…SOmething that would be of great benefit to the Cadets.

Oh well I guess we could ask him to organisea sponsred ride for much needed Squadron funds.[/quote]

It’s a little concerning that you’ve been on tenterhooks? Were you awake all night?

Is the Chris Hoy thing all Corps MCO could come up with?

Things I think would be worth the hype are:

• dis-establishment of Regions
  • reduction in administration processes
  • application of common sense and relaxation of knee-jerk rulings regarding transportation of SAA
  • condemning ultilearn to the dustbin
  • making all HQAC civil-service uniformed posts FTRS or VRT, thus making it easier to performance manage those who are under-performing.

What’s Chris going to do? Promote cycling within the ACO?

Wow.

I really don’t get all this negativity.

In all honesty, an announcement which was to be simultaneously announced to cadets and staff was never going to be about something as administrative as Bader, Regional Commandants or Admin. Because frankly, cadets don’t see or care about those things. They’re not expected to. Those things would never get ‘hype’ because they’re supposed to happen behind the scenes.

I think this is great news. We need to boost the Corps’ public profile, my WO often calls the ATC one of the nation’s best kept secrets, and this is a pretty big celebrity endorsement from a really up-to-date public figure, he only retired from full time cycling last week!

I don’t disagree with that but I’m against the hype surrounding ‘a big announcement’.

Chris Hoy is a public figure - we know that but he’s also still a human being. When he goes home after a hard days cycling, Mrs Hoy makes him put on the marigolds and do the housework. He still uses the toilet like the rest of us.

I just thank god it wasn’t David Beckham. Rumour has it he still uses a litter tray.

The Corps can’t really do hype about most of its administrative decisions. Because things like that have to go through the chain of command. Can you imagine the furore if something which changed the structure of corps fundamentally was announced directly to the cadets at the same time as the staff? There’d be mutiny!

Anyway, are there public figures who don’t use the toilet?

HQAC could refer to a big announcement and one (I think) more meaningful to the volunteer, via Bader. The average rank-and-file cadet doesn’t normally get on that.

Believe me, I’ve met some who would have you think that they don’t.

Well yes, exactly. But this one was only ever a social media announcement. It hasn’t officially been notified to me at all yet.

I don’t disagree with that but I’m against the hype surrounding ‘a big announcement’.

Chris Hoy is a public figure - we know that but he’s also still a human being. When he goes home after a hard days cycling, Mrs Hoy makes him put on the marigolds and do the housework. He still uses the toilet like the rest of us.

I just thank god it wasn’t David Beckham. Rumour has it he still uses a litter tray.[/quote]

There is no harm in creating a bit of hype.

The majority of cadets and staff have received this news - positively. It was designed to get staff and cadets talking about a particularly event. It’s safe to say that I’ve achieved that.

Adam

How do you know that? Do thousands and thousands of cadets and staff contact you direct and congratulate you personally?

On here, yes. I think it’s been a rather mixed reaction and something thats not been received positively by everyone.

[quote=“Baldrick” post=6549]I really don’t get all this negativity.

[color=#ff0000]In all honesty, an announcement which was to be simultaneously announced to cadets and staff was never going to be about something as administrative as Bader, Regional Commandants or Admin.[/color] Because frankly, cadets don’t see or care about those things. They’re not expected to. Those things would never get ‘hype’ because they’re supposed to happen behind the scenes. quote]

Simultaeously announced eh… well our Wing and regional Facebooke pages had nothing on them about a BIGAnnouncement before I saw it on ACC and certainly this afternoon over 3 hours after the announcement there was still nothing…

But then again that is just how things are across different wings I guess