Big Announcement Monday?

Trying to remember the last person who got rolled out as an Ambassador…

… ah yes, that’s it…

I certainly wouldn’t say that I’m personally feeling negative about it.
Just a well deserved disinterest I think.

So, some cycling guy has been given honourary Group Captain and a uniform; for services as yet un-rendered to the Corps.

Part of my disinterest is obviously due to the fact that I’m not interested in sport cycling; I couldn’t be bothered to watch the Olympics; and I’ve never heard of the bloke anyway.
That said, if it were someone like Mark Knopfler then as a guitarist I’d personally find this more interesting. Though I’d still be wondering what benefits would it actually bring?

We had that retail chap join in some honourary post didn’t we…granted that whilst he’s obviously not as ‘famous’ to all, we’ve still not seen or heard of a single benefit that he’s supposed to have brought to the table.

So you’re complaining because he’s over qualified for the post of Group Captain in the ACO?

:lol:

Not sure why all the negative comments about this news given some of the Biffs we could have gotten.

I think that someone like Sir Chris can be a good role model for Young people. He is giving up his free time to bring benefit to Young People within the ACO - I would like to think in just the same way as everyone else posting in this thread.

[quote=“noah claypole” post=6577]I think that someone like Sir Chris can be a good role model for Young people. He is giving up his free time to bring benefit to Young People within the ACO - I would like to think in just the same way as everyone else posting in this thread.[/quote]I think that’s the crux of the matter though - is he putting much time to it?

If Sir Chris has genuinely decided to dedicate a significant portion of his time to furthering our organisation then that’s great news - however I have a sneaking suspicion that he’ll already hold a few dozen such positions with other similarly worthy organisations - and he only has 24 hours in each of his days, just like we mere mortals.

Is it not a little early to judge him on performance?

Absolutely, I’m just pointing out why some may feel a little cynical about such things.

I was mostly narked about the unwarranted hype :slight_smile:

So you’re complaining because he’s over qualified for the post of Group Captain in the ACO?[/quote]

:lol: That’s a karma point right there!

i will give a big “WHOOP” when I see him do something that’s helps and involves most of the Corps rather then 1 or 2 little things that help either HQAC or a few local sqns! I know of loads of outside people who get involved with the ACO and rarely even get a thank you (AS WELL AS THOSE ALREADY WORKING WITHIN THE ACO!)

I’m finding it hard to hide my lack of enthusiasm. I was hoping, as I think everyone was, for something a bit more groundbreaking, like the end of Regions.

As has been said everyone wants a piece of a celebrity and there is only so much to go around. He’ll be wheeled out :wink: at do’s, camps and the like when the hanger’s on the ACO will gather to bathe in the limelight and that’s about it. Unless he was a cadet for more than a few months all he could say are lines fed to him and based on what he observes.

A couple of questions:

Will he have to have a current CRB, do BASIC and complete his OIC and OSC at Cranwell?

Can he fit in 12hrs a month promoting the Corps?

As the holder of an honorary rank, will he be saluted?

:mrgreen:

[quote=“MattB” post=6584][quote=“noah claypole” post=6577]I think that someone like Sir Chris can be a good role model for Young people. He is giving up his free time to bring benefit to Young People within the ACO - I would like to think in just the same way as everyone else posting in this thread.[/quote]I think that’s the crux of the matter though - is he putting much time to it?

If Sir Chris has genuinely decided to dedicate a significant portion of his time to furthering our organisation then that’s great news - however I have a sneaking suspicion that he’ll already hold a few dozen such positions with other similarly worthy organisations - and he only has 24 hours in each of his days, just like we mere mortals.[/quote]

Er… it was only announced yesterday - so nobody knows yet. How about we give it a bit of time before we get on the “Outraged at lack of commitment by the stuffed shirt figurehead Bus”?

I am stunned at the negative reactions on here. Indifference I expected, but to be so hostile has genuinely surprised me!

How much time does Bear Grylls spend doing stuff for the scouts? I’ll bet it isn’t a lot.

This is a PR coup, which is precisely what we need as a corps. I look forward to seeing what Sir Chris can do for us, and how he can help us.

[quote=“pEp” post=6605]I am stunned at the negative reactions on here. Indifference I expected, but to be so hostile has genuinely surprised me!

How much time does Bear Grylls spend doing stuff for the scouts? I’ll bet it isn’t a lot.

This is a PR coup, which is precisely what we need as a corps. I look forward to seeing what Sir Chris can do for us, and how he can help us.[/quote]

agreed I too am looking forward to seeing what he does, but going off other big names brought into this and other similar organisations (including regs) I will sit on the fence between the outrage and well done bus but will reserve a seat on the outrage bus as it will most likely go that way! I am yet still to meet the CAC and only met the Regional Comedian last year after (7 years) by chance/luck then anyother fact!

[quote=“pEp” post=6605]I am stunned at the negative reactions on here. Indifference I expected, but to be so hostile has genuinely surprised me!

This is a PR coup, which is precisely what we need as a corps. I look forward to seeing what Sir Chris can do for us, and how he can help us.[/quote]I think that most people have been cynical, rather than actually negative.

I certainly don’t see it as a bad thing, but I’m not exactly waiting with bated breath for huge results either!

This is a PR coup, which is precisely what we need as a corps. I look forward to seeing what Sir Chris can do for us, and how he can help us.[/quote]
There is so much that is wrong in the Corps, we need that fixed before we need any sort of PR coup.

It’s no use having a figurehead, I imagine fed glossy brochure BS about the ACO and nonsense like mission and vision statements, IF when people potentially inpsired by him, turn up at average sqn and find it’s not like the picture painted. What he needs to do is turn up unannounced at average sqns on average parade nights, as opposed to the media show of a big sqn with all the people and kit.

Now if he was able to get rid of Regions …

What is the point of doing the release of this by social media, it should have been on the BBC news.

[quote=“pEp” post=6605]This is a PR coup, which is precisely what we need as a corps. [/quote]There have been times when it has seemed as if a coup was what the organisation needed; just not a PR one :wink:

Careful!

If you get two ‘Thank You’s’, that will make three of you sharing the same view and it will be classified as mutiny!