Beret badges

Likely not strong enough for the small legs. A big industrial metal 3D printer would do it. But then you’d be looking at £100 each.

Someone somewhere already has the mould for injection moulding them normally. Who ever that is just needs a kick to get production flowing again.

I could make some out of metal. But I’d want minimum order of about 1000 and do them for about £200 each! :rofl: :rofl:

What about cloth & stitch?

It’s a pain but it could work okay.

Anyone got the hi res version of the badge?

Not actually a terrible idea to be honest. Certainly different. But would stop the problem of the legs breaking, as they’d be none to break! Certainly a PITA to stitch on though!

Quick google but it looks like it’s what the air scouts do so we could as well?

IMG_0744

It’s not like the badge changes.

Yep, there has been a “local supply sheet” sent out for completion; so far, the maximum number listed by a smaller sqn is 20. We have a genuine need for 50+. Allocating of available resources will be down to Wg based on how many they have.

1 Like

It would be cheaper possibly? I’m pretty sure the RN/SCC badge is stitched too.

The alternative is to go all Blue Peter and stamp them out of milk bottle tops!

Would this count as a STEM? Got an idea for rainy evening parade night……

2 Likes

This.

2 Likes

The issue you have is that RAFAC is not a recognised cadet force, it is just the umbrella term similar to alphabet owning google.

The Air Training Corps has a royal warrant establishing its existence as does the CCF. RAFAC does not.

Just thinking on this - would this be as viable & able to work?

Beret badge sowing is pain at the best of times so you would want done properly unless we went the Velcro patch & stick route?

And who will authorise the RA? :wink:

2 Likes

Why ATC cadets just don’t get RAF Beret badges and bring us all under the banner as such beats me. This organisation is going down the drain.

1 Like

I agree with the concern about the erasure of the ATC identity for something that doesn’t technically exist in any meaningful way (no one used to really go around talking of the ACO), but beret badges don’t feel like the hill to die on in that regard, not least because none of your staff wear the ATC beret badge despite being given a uniform to specifically serve that same organisation.

You could argue that the SNCO volunteer cadre have never been remotely RAF, and so shouldn’t really wear an RAF beret badge…

1 Like

I don’t think a beret badge is making the organisation go down the pan. This is quite the reach…

Because ATC cadets aren’t in the RAF, they’re in the ATC.

May as well let the Royal Marines wear Royal Navy cap badges.

2 Likes

But then the point would be: why are the rest of your dress regulations tied to the RAF?

2 Likes

How is that a relevant point? The cadets are in the ATC, the ATC uses RAF uniforms. But the insignia are largely separate.
By a similar logic, we should ditch brassards.

I don’t think it’s as random as you argue, nor would it follow that you should automatically get rid of brassards.

You do however seem to be arguing in favour of my point that honorary SNCOs appointed to the ATC probably should therefore wear the ATC beret badge.

After all, they’ve always shared the same TRF.

1 Like

Officers had the RAF TRF, SNCOs their own, cadets the green one with the glider.

I’m not sure a ‘RAFAC’ TRF was actually needed anyway. I’d have preferred to have Cadet marked on the cadet rank slides. Breaking in mind CFAVs’ slides are already marked.

1 Like

Not sure I follow your logic here but, speaking of Royal Marines, RMC wear Royal Marines cap badges (on a red patch on a blue beret, due to not being commando trained).