Baseline Personnel Security Standard for MOD Staff

Good!

An enhanced DBS checks all the same things regardless of who asks for it, I don’t know if the school ones would ask for a barred from working with children check.
I’ve got one done online through the church and is exactly the same as my cadet one and took the grand total of 4 days; from start to certificate on the door mat and the person who is responsible for safeguarding got an email notification to say it was OK, none of this photocopying, signing and postage nonsense we have to go through. The only reason the Air Cadet ones take so long is to keep people in MoD jobs. I would imagine anyone working in schools, children or social services would be done the same and have ones that are acceptable.
There is a world out here where things happen without ridiculous hoops and delays, mainly because organisations and businesses don’t / can’t afford employ loads of people to shuffle paper or justify a highly paid and convoluted management structure, so they remove or reduce admin or make it work better for them.

2 Likes

Ha @Teflon I came through to almost the exact same scenario!

I applied for my MOD DBS first, before I was asked to get my Church volunteering DBS done a week later. My church DBS came 4 days after it was sent through online, my ATC one 5 weeks later…

Could have been 5 weeks further on my probation, but hey ho!

Ok, so my MOD 90 expires very soon (2 days). I am SC cleared and my application for new ID was rejected due to lack of BPSS. I queried this based on the q and a at the bottom of the IBN, specifically:

Apparently after checking with P2B1 at HQAC original IBN was worded wrongly and a new advisory note is forthcoming.

You are required to complete BPSS even though you hold SC.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Pain in the bum, but at least there will be clarity!

If they had any common sense they would realise that SC clearance includes CTC which in turn includes BPSS, therefore you already have BPSS!

The issue though is that the original BPSS, on which the SC is based, essentially never happened (as it’s been decided that the people who conducted it were not qualified to do so).

TBH we’re quite lucky that they didn’t knock over the entire house of cards, which was a definite possibility.

Interesting background.

Doesn’t make it any more comfortable me having to ask my step-father for his place of birth again though.

So presumably this affects all regular RAF and Civil Servants, as we would have followed the same procedures as them?

Would we really?

MOD procedures for security clearance, you’d imagine so.

Want that the problem though? RAFAC were not following the correct procedures.

in the same way we started with CTC and then someone realised, whoops! those CFAVs need higher than that and we all then completed SC

Not quite the same scenario, the JSP was changed to remove CTC as an acceptable standard for arms and ammo stuff.

Not as far as I know, as their BPSS would have been carried out by personnel qualified to do so.

What makes someone ‘qualified’ to check a few pieces of identification?

And if someone has an SC, why does anyone care about BPSS anymore?

As far as I know, there are certain requirements which we as volunteers don’t meet.

Which is mostly being SC cleared to check the BPSS. Maybe ask if you can check your own?

Interestingly that’s not the case in v6.01 (Sept 2017) which I believe is the newest version.
That gives CTC as acceptable for access to Weapons, Ammunition and explosives.

As I understand it this issue is:

SC checks the details of the person and assumes that the person’s identity has been confirmed.
BPSS is supposed to confirm the identity before the SC checks are carried out.

The SC is worthless if the person on which it has been carried out is not actually the person we’ve got.

There is apparently now some issue that the method we have been using to confirm identity does not satisfy the requirements for SC.

So, whilst unlikely, it may theoretically be possible that Mr John Smith with a clear SC check is actually convicted fraudster Mr Joe Bloggs who presented himself in the beginning with a stolen identity and fake ID.

…and obviously the MOD processes don’t deal in probabilities they just say “BPSS is the required standard - you haven’t been doing that in the past so now everyone needs to complete it retrospectively”.