Badges

I just returned from camp about two weeks ago and i was the only person from my Squadron who went to it. A lot during the camp i was told to re do my brassard because my badges are meant to be touching however why Squadron tells me to make them not touche. does anyone know whats right and whats wrong

The Squadron number, “Air Training Corps”, and Classification badges should be touching.

The regulations you seek are contained within AP 1358C and are as follows:

0403. ATC Squadron Identification Badges. A rectangular cloth badge with a minimum size of 40mm by 30mm, dark blue background with light blue embroidered numerals. This Badge is to be worn centrally at the top of the Brassard, 6 mm from the top edge.

0404. ATC Distinguishing Badge. An arc-shaped dark blue fabric badge with “AIR TRAINING CORPS” embroidered in light blue. The Distinguishing Badge “Air Training Corps” is to be worn in a central position immediately below and touching the Squadron Identification Badge.

1 Like

On the poster, if there is a required gap they show that gap with a measurement.
It is not helpful however that badges which are touching are illustrated slightly apart from each other!

They still insist on showing measurements from a vague outer left/right border; I’d though they were going back to measuring everything laterally from a centreline.

Certainley need too… weve had a variety of different sizes of the same badge through the CoC so using the edges makes it a bit of a nightmare!

It’s not the datum I might have chosen with my engineering head on, but we have done away with the “vague edges” we had previously. Badges are now measured from the physical edge of the brassard; which is okay so long as the brassards continue to be made to the same size.

All the badges we are using now should be of the current regulation size; which should make it not a nightmare.

Have the brassards ever been the same size? We’ve had all sorts over the years so I’m not convinced!

Nope! Presently we have at least 2 different sizes on my sqn, one that fits the badges and one that doesn’t.

That being said, even if they worked from a centreline datum, if the brassards are smaller then it’s still not going to fit properly.

Here’s a question though…
Why have we always worn cadet wings on the shoulder patch, where the RAF have long worn them on the breast of the jersey?

I don’t know, but it looks nicer and is easier to align/position.

as we have a smaller badge so it doesn’t get lost/is easier to see as a badge on the patch???

I’ve always assumed, to distinguish cadet wings badges (which are not flying badges) from RAF ones which are.

The actual glider pilot badge IS worn on the breast of the jersey and the RAF recognises it as a flying badge - hence it can be worn on no. 5s etc. Cadet badges (especially now we have blue, FFS) aren’t.

I know a number of CFAV who hold PPLs who feel that they should be allowed some sort of badge. After all, cadets get a wings badge for flying one sortie… Unlikely to happen, though.

I think those CFAV who feel they should have the right to wear a “civilian” flying badge are clearly in the organisation for the wrong reasons. Badges are for Cadets, it’s to identify and award the Cadet’s achievements, not theirs.

If they are so passionate about aviation, perhaps they should volunteer their time on one of the VGS units and put their flying experience to good use. They’ll even get a fancy badge to show their friends.

2 Likes

The wearing of the Glider Pilot badge on the breast of the jersey only applies to CFAV and RAF personnel - Cadets that have been awarded Glider Pilot Badge do not wear them on the breast of the jersey, but on the patch.

Might’ve been possible before they shut a good number of VGS’s and removed capability for places like NI and Wales… :wink:

3 Likes

it will only happen when it happens in the regulars…

as CFAV “rank” has no distinction on other skills gained from other hobbies, it would not be inconceivable to see a Sgt with “Wings” which simply doesn’t happen in the regular forces.
for it to occur in the RAFAC i could imagine would raise lots of questions should it be noticed the “wings” don’t match the rank…

You already have Sgts with wings if attached to a VGS though don’t you?

ahh yes - fair point.

I have never seen one, our local VGS (now closed) only had VRTs as pilots, I don’t recall seeing any SNCOs on their team except the Cadets themselves.

Aren’t the “aircrew” SNCOs as VGS staff a new-ish thing? I think it came around at the same time as the RAFAC rank slides.