Badges

the aircrew rank slide yes…but SNCO (ATC) could still be Staf on VGS as i understand it - not that I ever saw them

You forgot the AAC who have NCO pilots.

Pre Pause, VGS was CGI or Officer

SNCO Aircrew is new and part of the drive to eliminate CGI

There was nothing in regs to say SNCO(ATC) could not be supernumerary to the VGS. And therefore could also get qual’d

I had a Sgt ATC on my former Sqn who had gliding wings and was on 618 VGS. That was back in 2006\7.

not forgotten, not included.

i was thinking of the occasion when a 21 yr old Sgt , with pilot wings could be sat in No2 in the mess - an odd situation for anyone else in that room seeing a young SNCO without the aircrew additions to the rank slide, with pilot “Wings”

how are ACC pilots identified? do they even wear wings on their PCS uniform?

We have our own air force? Where do I sign?

2 Likes

They wear wings, ask Prince Harry.

1 Like

Where do ACO NCO pilots sit in relation to Haddon Cave report, as commissioned pilots have retained VRT status to come under MAA regulations as they have to sign for an aircraft same as an NCO pilot?

The reason why VR(T) was retained in that in order to fly civilian aircraft (the Grob Tutors have civilian registrations, not military serials), the crew must be ‘military’ unless they hold a civilian pilot’s licence - this is a requirement of the Air Navigation Order.

As the CFC is not a military commission volunteer AEF aircrew has to retain their military VR(T) commissions to remain legal.

Viking gliders are military aircraft and can therefore be flown by whoever the military deem fit, including Cadets, CGIs, RAFAC NCOs and RAFAC CFC Officers.

1 Like

With changes to the CFC etc, these people no longer come under military law and are ‘civilians’ so therefore any prosecution for negligence would have to be under civil law not military and in accordence with CCA not MAA regulations. And they may not hold a civil licence in this situation.

Indeed, so I suspect the days of VGS staff being VR(T) are numbered. 2FTS might have preferred it but there is no cogent reason; unlike AEF where the military status is required as some of the pilots are ‘unqualified’ to fly civilian aircraft.

VGS staff aren’t VRT they’re CFC just like everyone else.

2FTS retained a handful of VRT (8) to fly the tug aircraft which is civilian registered

So let me get this straight. To fly the Civilian aircraft you need to have a military commission, but everyone flying the military aircraft have moved to Civilian commissions. I understand the reasoning but it just seems odd

Or now you have those with ‘civilian commissions’ flying miltary aircraft with no accountability under military law, therefore not under the MAA regulations but are they holding a CAA/BGA licence?

There is no need to be under military law to be governed by MAA regulations

Ah apologies, I had misremembered that.