Autistic discrimination / inclusivity . . . Who do i talk to?

Hi folks,

RE: Autism discrimination and lack of inclusivity from OC

I’m a new member here, and my 13-year-old recently participated in an intake as a new recruit. He excelled during the sessions, taking notes, polishing his school shoes, and practicing parade at home with his army veteran dad. However, upon submitting his medical form (autistic, OCD, may require ear defenders or get overwhelmed by loud environments), we were informed he couldn’t attend until a meeting was held to discuss his needs.

Great! They want to discuss his abilities, needs, and see his EHCP, how inclusive! I wrote up a few notes, a summary of his abilities and accommodations (allowing him to flap his hands, wear ear defenders if needed, and if a minute break would be possible if he gets overwhelmed.) And included some info about stims, assuming they might not have updated info or terms.

It did NOT go well!

I was surprised to find that concerns were expressed about his inability to listen to instructions would be unsafe. I said, “he is smart and can follow all rules to a T; that’s literally part of his autism.” Also discussed was the need for him to be constantly supervised. I said, “he rides his bike to school and comes to air cadets on the bus independently; he doesn’t need babysitting?”

The OC said, “there is the risk of hand flapping, we are not trained for autism or mental health, and they will not know what to do.” I said you don’t need to do anything? It’s not dangerous? Its an expression like laughing, tell him to keep it down if it’s disruptive?

Despite my efforts to address these concerns, my counters were repeatedly disregarded, and the CO told me the decision had already been made before this meeting based solely on the medical form - which was literally 5 lines of vague information and his dx. OC said she had discussed it at length with higher-ups and based on the form, they cannot allow the kiddo to join Air Cadets.

I said it stinks, and I was very disappointed, but there were no harsh words, and it was all left amicably. I laughed when told them my dad was autistic and is a retired colonel (SAS), and that my 13yo had written (and published) a book this year.

I’ve written an email to the OC of the squadron, the one I met at the meeting, BUT I want to take it up with the CO. I know there is a neurodiverse panel for the MOD, but no way to reach them. How do I make a complaint to regional officers?

I’m autistic myself and as well as pointing out the discrimination that occurred, I’d like to help them a.) Update their forms (which call autism a learning difficulty) and b.) Change policies so they judge cadets based on ability, not labels or diagnoses.

Any advice welcome!

Thank you, from an AA mom to the weird kid who flaps his hands when he gets excited about planes!

1 Like

It sounds like there’s been some poor communicating going on here. From what you’ve described, there’s no reason your son shouldn’t be able to join. I mean, it doesn’t really sound like he’ll even need much in the way of reasonable adjustments? Just some mutual respect respect that he might get over excited.

Frankly, this is the sort of energy I’m all for in this organisation!

Now, as we’re a volunteer organisation, you will get a complete mixed bag from one squadron to another in terms of understanding when it comes to anything around learning difficulties/disabilities/mental health issues etc etc. There is no real training for us on any of these things, which if I’m honest, is not great.

I think what you need to do now is raise a polite complaint. I don’t think there’s any malice here, which hopefully you can understand, but certainly some discussions need to happen higher up. Although mostly used for safeguarding concerns, if I were you, I’d report this here:

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircadets/safeguarding/report-a-concern/

It’ll go to the safeguarding team at the very top, but they will disseminate it down to the correct people to deal with this. It will also give you an opportunity ti remind those at the top our forms are out of date.

5 Likes

This is the root cause really. The org has let down the OC of this particular Sqn which filters through to you. I

In my opinion, Its us failing as an organisation to your child in this instance.

I know you said there is nothing to do, this organisation is pivoted around risk and ability to dynamically risk assess. Again, not a you issue but something to just be aware of and if you manage to get your child involved there will be further conversations around this and full transparency some activities may potentially be off the cards, but without knowing the full picture i couldnt advise you what that looks like but those convos will take place.

As @JoeBloggs said the approach above is probably the best route as the team at HQAC are trained in the general management of a childs welfare whilst under our control. Also it over rules any made up cottage industry youre georgraphical location may have made up, cause this org is rife with that

4 Likes

I’ve sent you a pm.

Even not knowing the full picture there is a lot of discussion which could of happened, including if he did need supervision.

The standard squadron evening should be ok with some adjustments as required, then other activities it would need an individual plan and that would depend on the individual rather than any generic one (think flying, shooting, watersports, overnight stays, potentially some day visits etc)

2 Likes

this is disappointing to read.

I have can vividly recall a autistic Cadet who was exceptional, although he did not “rise through the ranks” he took part in nearly every opportunity we offered, and went away on camp.
I can also remember others autistic Cadets who joined, but for whatever reason wasn’t quite for them.

So i write to highlight the organisation does not discriminate and is inclusive even though your experience is quite different.

unfortunately with 900+ Squadrons nationwide, there are 900 different ways of working, and with the experience and opportunities lead by volunteers what is on offer and available at one unit could be vastly different at its neighbouring unit 8 miles away while have plenty in common with another 80 miles away simply down to the character, experience and knowledge of the attending volunteers (this isn’t meant to act as an excuse for your experience, simply highlighting what you have experienced should not be seen to be a universal approach, a different Squadron, with different Staff team and different OC could well have offered a “perfect reaction” to the medical form you submitted)

3 Likes

Well that is definitely an idiotic reaction from a Sqn cdr or higher ups they sought advice from.

I personally know 3 Sqn Cdrs with autism 2 of which still Stim in their adult life. One of whom is an RCO & SAAI. The diagnosis does not make someone unsafe (in fact in their cases probably makes them safer than non Neurodiverse as their very rule orientated)

Please Challenge this stupidity with every fibre of your being

7 Likes

I’m surprised by this.

We have a number of cadets who are neuro diverse who have really thrived. There’s a number of staff I know who are also on the spectrum.

You could also contact the wing or region Diversity and Inclusion Advisor (previously known as ASPIRE) - let us know which wing you’re in and we can provide an email address.

It may not be an option due to travel, but could you try another unit?

4 Likes

So one thing to clarify is if the higher ups consulted were paid staff or other volunteers?

There is in effective two reporting chains depending on the nature of the activity/issue.

Wing Executive Officer (the paid person responsible for a wing) is the point of contact initially for this sort of thing & can normally be contacted on WeXo.[insert wing name]@ rafac.mod.gov.uk

If the wing has a website you should be able to find the details.

Now I have known where a cadet with severe autism or other complex needs has attended a Sqn & the Sqn has not been able to adequately support those needs.

However when having those conversations it should be done a little more sensitively than how you have described.

2 Likes

Extremely dissapointing and as has been said, what you are seeing is a volunteer who hasn’t been trained being let down likely by other untrained volunteers.

Ask them for the contact details of the permanent staff at their Wing HQ and discuss with them.

5 Likes

@Moon.lei Firstly, I sincerely apologise for the manner in which this situation has been managed leaving you feeling this way.

I’m am both a Wing and Regional Inclusion Advisor in Scotland & Northern Ireland Region and we are here to support cadets and Adult volunteers (CFAVs) and we support in all matters regarding diversity and inclusion. We are throughout the whole of RAFAC.

I have been made aware of your concerns, I want to encourage you to reach out to me directly so that I can facilitate contact with the Wing or Regional Inclusion Advisor for your area. Together, we will work towards a resolution. Please feel free to contact me via email at inclusion.sni@rafac.mod.gov.uk.

12 Likes

Yes, there is another unit closer to us but i choose this one as its where me and my brother attended.

Im tempted to reach out and ask, but nervous as its neighbours with this sqn and ill get a rep as a busy body lol

1 Like

When i emailed the co my complaint i asked her to provide contact information for a formal complaint so we can “work together for better inclusion for future recruits”

She did say the decsion was made by higher ups so im nervous about a different local sqn.

1 Like

But they did it without your input and based it off a few details on a form - that is not a suitable discussion.

The key is understanding which fork of the higher ups made that decision, it could be permanent staff or it could be volunteer. The volunteers largely should not be making that decision without a proper risk assessment which would require training.

The permanent staff are more informed and can ask the HQ staff for advice if required.

3 Likes

Thank you so much everyone for the support - i assure you i will fight with every fibre of my being for inclusivity :smiley:

Thank you all so much for the back up, signposting and supprt. I have pmed and emailed a couple of you and hopefully we can get my kiddo intl cadets at the next intake once he is settled at his new school.

4 Likes

That is the main scope of my complaint. An outdated form and 5 lines is not enough to judge ANYONES abilty, let alone a complex mentally disabled child.

1 Like

I’ll call you out on this whether you are the parent or not… that’s not a great way to describe someone with ASD.

4 Likes

But it is an approiate way to deacribe my childs needs?

He is not “a person with autism” he is autistic and has complex needs :slight_smile:

Annnd just fyi its ASC, condition not a disorder :wink: its still not widely used outside of the community but the name did change a few years ago. Autism is a neurological condtion. Not disorder :wink:

1 Like

Also i did mean to write a complex human who is mentally disbaled. Autism is legally a disability and whilst my kiddo is not disabled in his daily life it does affect him daily and is a vital part of his social life. Im also autistic btw :wink:

The NHS refer to is as ASD still:

1 Like