ATC Sqn suspended over civcom/staff rift

Hello strangers, long time no see etc. I saw this drift past on Facebook, via some still-in-the-ATC friends, and wondered what it was all about. Typical local news reporter hasn’t got the actual heart of the story…

http://www.buryfreepress.co.uk/news/latest-news/air-cadet-group-suspended-over-dispute-between-its-organisers-1-5102765

[quote]A well-regarded and strongly supported cadets group was suspended yesterday and could be headed for closure.

Parents of Thurston cadets received notification of the decision to suspend activity of the 863 Squadron on Monday, with the group due to meet for the last time last night.

In a letter to parents, Air Commodore Dawn McCafferty said the suspension followed her ‘inability to reconcile the views and behaviours of some uniformed staff and volunteers with those of some members of the civilian committee’. There has been an ongoing dispute since 2011.

She added that the resignation of several officers meant she could not assure ‘the safety of cadets and delivery of the full scope of cadet activity’.[/quote]

Maybe the below has something to do with it?

I remember reading the FOI a few months ago and wondered what had gone on…

1 Like

Well, that’s a master-class in teddy-throwing.

What a nightmare! I don’t think I’ll ever complain about our civcom being difficult after reading all that.

after a skim read what i understand is (in short as best i can!)

863 Sqn parade at a school
a “fund” (Salmon Fund?) was set up to raise money for an additional building to be built on site adjacent to the building/rooms the Sqn used for shared use by the school and the Squadron

a breakdown in communication/rapport occured over this Sqn building on School property

a CivCom member (Chairman?) was suspended over the handling of the interaction between the school, Sqn and CivCom by Wing Committee
this caused some upset amoungst CivCom who rejected this suspension

the CivCom continued in its damaging ways with regard to the building.
the CivCom as a whole was then suspended by Region and a new CivCom set up
the new acting chairman started where the old CivCom left off, indicating mass disagreement with the way the CivCom was suspended and continued on regardless and questioned the authority of Wing/Region and their position in which to suspend a CivCom

Wing set up a new account for the Sqn which by-passed the rebelling CivCom in the interim in an attempt to maintain cash flow
the CivCom wrote to all parents indicating they still hand control of funds despite any other correspondance parents may recieve

Regional/CAC get involved to remind the “CivCom” they are not permitted to actively operate and are acting outside of the name of 863 Sqn and are not recognised.

CivCom attempt to enter Squadron on a parade night for a EGM, confronted by OC, WSO/Wg Cmdr and Police and asked to leave as they have no place on MOD property, when arguing they are operating under the name of 863 CivCom in the interest of the Cadets they are reminded they are not permitted to act under that name, and that the CivCom is in suspension and thus not operating.

legal advise is sought at some point by the CivCom against the ACO/MOD

and i believe the Chairman/former Chairman was also the Chair for the local fair which the Sqn used as a fund raiser. he wrote to all parents, cadets and staff asking for their support

CivCom then present to parents a biased presention indicating the situation against the CivCom which justifies the use of Sqn Funds to pay for legal advice against those up the chain

it would seem somewhere along the line the CivCom complained about Wing/Region personnel and then ignored all corresspondance from those offices believing those people to be “under investigation” and thus compromised to the situation…

surprisingly the Sqn seems to have carried on regardless, with all of this very much happening in the background!

there is probably more to it
but basically
CivCom step out of line
Wing step in and sort it out
CivCom dont like being told what to do by senior bods and carry on regardless
in doing so send confusing correspondance to parents, hold EGMs and presentation nights to deal with the Wing/Region decision to suspend the CivCom (and in doing so ignore the suspension)
CAC gets involved
Lawyers get involved

no one wins
Cadets miss out

2 Likes

Pretty much how I read it, although I’m not sure that the new civ com were causing any problems - I think that was chair #2 of the ‘old’ civ com.

I could be wrong though.

Now that is just bang out of order. I’m glad I don’t have to put up with a system that allows crap like that.

I read the words “For the greater good” in there somewhere, which is always suspicious!

And I find the slide from the presentation entitled "How the staff see the ACO, is ever so slightly insulting.

It seems there’s a bunch a of people more concerned about being right than doing the right thing.

[quote=“MattB” post=7372]Pretty much how I read it, although I’m not sure that the new civ com were causing any problems - I think that was chair #2 of the ‘old’ civ com.

I could be wrong though.[/quote]

I thought the same MattB, Seemed that after the original chair was suspended he just waltzed back in to a meeting, showed everyone the letter and they let him back on the committee.

Our situation a few years ago could have evolved into something not too dissimilar.
CivComs who think they are in charge are a PITA!

This really is a cracking good read…

85 page complaints to HQAC…Letters to the Secretary of State…the constant banding about of terms like “Squadron Constitution”, “Parent Trustees”, and half a dozen other fancy, invented positions…

Ideas above their station doesn’t do it justice!!

If it wasn’t so tragic it would be funny.

1 Like

Not read it yet, but the question is, who has control of the squadron funds???

Who let you in? :wink:

I was bored earlier and read it all, apart from raising money to build a Sqn HQ on a school site the school did not want them to, which is of course publicaly funded.

There is the matter of the transfer of £79,000 from the Squadron fund to the New charity which caught my eye, and the fact that this money is now beyond HQACO scrutiny.

As a charitable trust it has very different rules on how it can be spent.

I wonder why they did that?

Jesus!!! :blink: That can’t be legal, can it??

Seems the Sqn was given use of wing funds until the relevant paperwork(For the Sqn fund) could be got off the old civcom. There’s a section where the Wing/Region set up a system to pay subs into a temporary account, but the suspended civcom send letters to all parents telling them to ignore this and continue to pay them(The old civcom) the money!

This case needs the services of the special operations branch of the ACO. Their skills are quietly mentioned in hushed tones in ante rooms. Their existence is denied officially. Their methods are unorthodox. Their results are always positive.

1 Like