AT Quals and the Faff that is

Exactly. All of those high level courses definitely have a place in this organisation, I think there just needs to be a more pre-agreed return on investment. Having an MCI in the region would be great if they were out delivering LLA/ML/CWAI etc! Winter ML would be great in those areas that get snow on the hills as you could take cadets out year-round. I could go on.

But as said, I think if region were going to pay for it there would need to be an agreed upon plan of what they will give back.

1 Like

Forgive me, as I could be wrong, but arenā€™t we lacking a policy on this?

Any business would have a policy covering eligibility and the mechanics of who, how and where for such courses / quals. Why donā€™t we have this? It should then remove any infighting/ tit for tat over funding and costs, and ultimately provide us with more, better qualified staff to offer more activities.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen a policy on this, no. That said, this is potentially at a high enough level that it would be very much case-by-case decision from Andy/Budget holder. I doubt there would be more than 1 staff member a year looking to do anything at the level weā€™re talking about. (MCI/ML(W) etc)

1 Like

Since the funds used would likely be non-public money would it not be for the individual, Squadron, Wing, Region or Corps Committee to decide upon rather than HQAC having a policy?

The thing is once you get to that level you are in most cases doing it for a living, you need to be just to get the amount of time in to attain and maintain the skills. With that being the case is it really for the organisation to effectively buy someone a skill which will become their occupation if it isnā€™t already?

I actually donā€™t see it as a problem but I do think some form of black and white agreement explaining how the organisation is going to get its monies worth is definitely in order. (If the Squadron funds an LLA who promptly leaves without giving anything back itā€™s annoying but most Squadrons will be able to swallow it, but if we have paid for someone to become a Winter ML however thatā€™s a big chunk of change for a Squadron, Wing or Region to have thrown away.

Hmm, Iā€™m not sure I agree - e.g. there are a few Wings that have 4* WW paddlers, if itā€™s your main sport / hobby, itā€™s a relatively straightforward path to 4*. I actually know an MIC (now renamed WMCI) who still has a full time office job and just does MIC-stuff on the side

There will alway be exceptions, but holding down a full time job and keeping up with a hobby to that standard doesnā€™t leave much time for Cadets (unless you hate your partner).

Iā€™m not opposed to helping people at that level, we need some people who can do that, I just would want a very clear agreement as to what we would get out of it.

3 Likes

This!

1 Like

Time to get my 4* :slight_smile:
I think something like Iā€™ve had when work pay for courses. If you leave within 1 year you repay it all, and then a sliding scale where less gets repaid as time passes, with the ability to speed that up by using it

3 Likes

Sorry, I should have been more explicit - Iā€™d think of 4* being more like ML-equivalent, but yes, getting (and actively using) WMCI, while holding down a full time office job, and having 2 children under 10 is not something I think Iā€™d want to do (Iā€™ve met his wife too, and she seems pleasant enough!! :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

I agree with something like that, although it might be harder with volunteers than with employees.

What if it was an internal grant scheme with its own fund, application process, and Ts & Cs? We could apply something like that to a lot more than top-tier AT quals, too. Anyone up for bushcraft?

Whereā€™s our financial gurus at?

Let anyone else in and the Silver Winged Master Race would find a way to make it about aviation rubbish.

1 Like

Ts and Cs + Exclusions then. No ROI or training requirement for PPL, so tough.

I have an agreement with my staff and civcom that if a staff member canā€™t access an in house course, we can apply for funding for another civvie course.

This is normally subject to getting a couple of quotes, and a gentlemanā€™s agreement that if the CFAV leaves within a year they pay the full cost back, within 2 years 50% then we write it off.

We also ask for them to commit to a certain number of events to run once they have the qualification.

All totally unenforceable of course, but itā€™s the principle. We have a low turnover and I have high trust of my team. I wonā€™t support someone who hasnā€™t got a sound case, and who I donā€™t think will use it.

6 Likes

Very reasonable and grown up approach. Shows trust and empowering them will only deliver a better cadet experience. I wish more were like this.

1 Like

This is almost word for word what I have in place on my Sqn.

Wonder how common this approach is?

:thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Heaven forbid there be people keen to keep the AIR Training Corps, part of the Royal AIR Force AIR Cadets aviation minded.

But no I agree - I think we need a rethink on this sort of thingā€¦ Why not have the AT pot of money distributed between regions; wing AT officers can then be allocated a budget from region for getting as many staff as possible onto different LLA style awards from across the spectrum. Region hold back a few bob for more advanced courses which staff can put a case forward forā€¦

Iā€™d argue the same should happen for Flying. Give region a budget, region to organise powered flying with suitable flying clubs and allocate spacesā€¦ Distribute a smaller budget to wings who can organise their own gliding or spend the money on other aviation however they feel fit.

A bit of trust and flexibility so that coal face volunteers are actually involved in the decision on how we spendā€¦ Some things will be sourced cheaper, some things may be a little more expensiveā€¦ But it will be swings and roundabouts; and a little more local control would = more qualified and interested staff doing more thingsā€¦

It would then become essential for wing and region to appoint suitably organised post holders who have a bit of financial acumenā€¦ But it could work really well???

Itā€™s a lovely idea, and I agree, it could work - however the accountancy requirements if it were public money would probably be onerous. If itā€™s non-public money then itā€™s not our bag to manage, as thatā€™s on the trustees (and weā€™d have to make cases for spending it as we do now from the relevant purse-holder).
Unfortunately budgets donā€™t seem to be delegated any lower than HQAC - even WExOs donā€™t have a budget to manage as I understand it.

3 Likes

Letā€™s just do paragliding & parachuting. Just use those big expensive winged taxis to get to the top. Sell the little naff ones, buy some Grand Caravans and there we have it - mass aviation participation :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

I know youā€™re joking. But actually not the worst idea.