Apply for an HM Armed Forces Veteran Card

This is true, however this goes back to when they used to hate them during Vietnam.

If there are any ticket inspectors just show them.

1 Like

My MOD Civil Servant ID card had a photo of a Microchip on it !!

2 Likes

Mine arrived this morning. I applied for it using the details of my regular service only and did not mention any cadet service at all. It took about a week from the online application to dropping through the door. Iā€™m not sure what, if any, benefit it will be but I think itā€™s worth having.

I did get a veterans Railcard - given the price of train travel itā€™s useful, and Iā€™ve had a couple of freebie upgrades from the train crew and station staff over the last couple of years.

One all the way from Berwick to Londonā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve just renewed mine. Even using it just once a year to go either to my office or to London more than covers the cost of it.

Never had any bloody upgrades thoughā€¦

2 Likes

worth noting I applied for both the card and badge and was declined for both. This was advertised online that cadets services staff were eligible but as a former Fg Off VRT (T) I was told this week told we are not. So donā€™t waste your time.

1 Like

I think you may mean the Defence Discount Card or some similar saving scheme open to veterans and cadet forces.

Veterans card is for those with Regular or Reserve service, not cadet forces the specific scheme being discussed here is linked in the first post and does not mention cadet forces being eligible.

The purpose is not discounts but as a form of proof to ensure correct help and support with things like health services and access to support from forces charities.

For the government to desperately try and be seen to be giving a hoot about veteranā€™s affairs by actually doing something rather than just paying them lip service as itā€™s an election yearā€¦ (Fixed that for you!)

I guess a benefit is that people are talking about veterans, thatā€™s something of a positive, possibly, if you had to find one. And I guess people in shops will start to see ā€˜veteranā€™ rather than just ā€˜defenceā€™. Exactly the same discount, itā€™s a meaningless bit of plastic for that, but it does by osmosis keep ā€˜veteranā€™ in peopleā€™s conscience.

2 Likes

Why would you be eligible? Even under the very generous criteria of 1 days basic training as VR(T) you would not count as a veteran.

5 Likes

You mean a week at ATF didnā€™t count as training for the armed forces!?

2 Likes

Likely the sort of person who considers themselves ā€˜ex-RAFā€™, having only been a CFAV. There are quite a few people with that mentality, up to and including thinking that ā€˜veteranā€™ applies to them.

4 Likes

Iā€™m a veteran of RAFAC / RAF :ox: :poop:. Can I have a Railcard for that? Should be bloody free tbh.

2 Likes

Seeing someone with only VR(T) ā€œserviceā€ applying for a Veterans Card is up there among some of the Waltiest excrement Iā€™ve seen.

7 Likes

As RAFVR(T) we were classed as reserves - I was very proud tobe associated with thr RAFVR.

Look at just how far have we seperated from our ā€˜parentā€™ service !!

Without call up liability and or any meaningful amount of trainingā€¦

In the context of eligibility as a veteran, ā€œassociated withā€ doesnā€™t really cut it.

6 Likes

Whilst I would completely support retention of the rights to RAFVR(T) post-nominals, in an honorary capacity (as the SCC / CCF(RN) has established a precedent for this), such a technicality doesnā€™t make one a veteran. Iā€™d say exactly the same for RAFVR(UAS) and, indeed, Rory Stewartā€™s gap year commission.

1 Like

The word veteran is already misused to such an extent that we might as well give up anyway.

Does 3 years as a slip jockey in Aldershot really make you a ā€œVeteranā€, your in about as much danger as the bloke from Serco standing next to you.

You could argue OC (Inner London Hell Hole) Sqn is a more dangerous role than being a blanket stacker in Lossie.

3 Likes

There are some grey areas with this definition though. As an example, RPAS pilots are in no danger at all, but they do suffer some psychological impacts of being in a warzone one minute and in the ā€œreal worldā€ just by stepping out of the door (a friend of mine in the regs studied this as part of his MSc).

So do they count as veterans or not?

Personally, I donā€™t agree with the official definition and didnā€™t dare consider myself a veteran until Iā€™d been deployed on ops. I use the term ā€˜combat veteranā€™ when Iā€™m being really picky.

2 Likes