Alcohol at Cadet Dinners

Is it correct that CFAVs are now prohibited from consuming alcohol at cadet dining-in nights?

No, but there are specific rules around it which were updated recently. These new rules are now in ACP 20.

1 Like

Pers 123 to be precise. I think its a balanced approach

2 Likes

That’s why I never used to have Cadets at dinners, don’t need to stay sober when it’s all staff!

2 Likes

Nope, you have to have a ratio of sober staff and obviously not be hammered in front of cadets but staff/parents/guests may drink. It’s all about being sensible.

1 Like

Specifically, you have to have at least 1 member of staff per 10 cadets that completely abstains from alcohol. Sqn dinners now must also be approved via SMS.

3 Likes

What if there’s Cadet’s parents present? Would that take the Cadet out of the ratio?

1 Like

Interesting one thats not covered…
If cadets are with parents/families/guardians at Sqn dinner, do they need to be supervised by CFAV?
Who is responsible for the cadets in this situation…

1 Like

This isn’t covered at all in the policy. When we used to do Sqn dinners, all the staff could drink as cadets parents were there and had full responsibility for them. No SMS app etc. Parents were in charge of their kids. Simple.

1 Like

I was under the impression parents dont count, but again not in policy. This thread will now probably trigger a review. :joy:

3 Likes

That would be interesting applied to any other situation.

Could you have the CWC arrange a dinner for the Squadron Association and say “bring your kids”?

4 Likes

Interestingly, we didn’t follow any of this at our recent dinner, but the Wing Commander was present and didn’t say a word!

1 Like

Whats the point in that?
We are here for the cadets. Dining in nights etc are an experience for them.

Booze isnt everything.
Bit sad really.

Staff only dinners are fine of course. Assuming cadets have a seperate one some point.

1 Like

They had to before…

1 Like

None that I’ve ever been to have been. Always done by the CWC. Been to many other Sqns dinners too, always invited by their CWC. Don’t think I’ve ever been added to an SMS event for one.

Also been to a couple of wing dinners, and don’t recall them ever being on SMS either.

Didnt acto 10 make it mandatory for all off sqn events to have an sms application?
Im of course assuming the ones you went to were off sqn.

Never any interest from the Cadets in them when we’ve tried, they like a Summer Ball etc but sit down dinners were never popular.

Besides staff are entitled to do things for their own enjoyment as well.

2 Likes

You’ll never get a career at HQAC with that attitude

4 Likes

If the fun starts, stop.

18 Likes