Aircrew rankslides

Is not a brevet and a rank slide synonamous, you have a rank slide then you have a brevet/wings.

As far as the RAF is concerned from SNCO aircrew, yes (unless under initial training).

1 Like

Excuse my naivety as i havent been to a VGS in many moons or come across the new VGS NCO’s ever but, Are SNCO’s on VGS’s not also at a “Normal” squadron? I was always under the impression that other than a few key people at a VGS you are at a squadron with a secondary post at a VGS?

As far as I understand it, it’s the opposite. Most VGS personnel are VGS-only, a few double-hat.

1 Like

As in they’re not awarded the RAF WSOp brevet.

Few years when we start to see “master aircrew” should be fun.

1 Like

What @MattB said.

most are primary role VGS (5-6 weekend days /month expectation*) and also choose to/also have a secondary Squadron role.

I know of one FS Aircrew who is waiting for their VGS to get up speed/operational and so on a Squadron. I also recall VGS Officers all and only knew of one who had a Secondary Squadron role…

*which I understand can be every Saturday or every Sunday or a few "full weekends.
Given that level of commitment, the idea of adding 1 or 2 nights a week in addition to attend a Squadron as well? I know I wouldn’t have the time to find a partner to even have chance for the divorce papers to be drawn up!

3 Likes

It’s different insignia Mike. You’re confusing the two organisations.

Hats off to RAF Aircrew and no disrespect to them whatsoever. They have earned their insignia with, no doubt, admirable service to their country. In the RAFAC context however, RAFAC SNCO Aircrew are of much greater relevance.

The insignia worn by RAFAC SNCO aircrew is really just to identify them as being within the 2fts CoC. As I say though, their training is more relevant to what we do.

I agree with those posts above that assert that RAFAC insignia are not directly comparable to the RAF equivalent. Let’s move on and leave badge envy to the cadets.

1 Like

So the gliding brevets aren’t sufficient to identify them as being within the 2FTS CoC?

Question: When a VGS member of staff leaves\retires\gets hoyed out of the VGS, what happens to their ‘aircrew’ rank slides? Are they still permitted to wear them once they’re outwith the 2FTS CoC?

2 Likes

I think I’m going to get all my rank slides embroidered with a little canoe on top. After all, we do far more AT than flying so it should be distinguished with a badge.

2 Likes

On that logic as I now am custodian of more boats in my “fleet” than some small Navies, I’m going to re rank myself with some wavy braid and call myself admiral of the fleet.

2 Likes

As I’m involved with FMS, I won’t be going anywhere on duty without a cammed-up helmet with 3 stars across the front, webbing with 2 live hand-grenades hanging from it and a GPMG.

Just to show to others, y’know, where I fit into the system as I feel the wearing of boringly plain MTP and crossed rifles insignia just isn’t enough.

1 Like

Me too. Sounds good… let’s get some made. We can create our own chain of command and get some boatcrew slides knocked up.

1 Like

Time to resurect the RAF Marine Branch?

1 Like

Sounds like an excellent idea and to differentiate our various disciplines, my personal choice will be a rucksack with my gravel and mountain bikes rampant :thinking:

1 Like

What if we do all disciplines? Do I get a super-badge?

If you do all disciplines your badge will have a broken wedding ring on it

9 Likes

result…

can i have crossed ice axes, a GMLRS, a quad bike, a book, and an ice cream?

1 Like

Providing it’s not too ostentatious, I think a super badge could be worn. By not too ostentatious, I mean it shouldn’t shout “look at me, I’m highly skilled and special”, it should simply give a discretely polite cough and suggest that as a CFAV you’re doing your bit for the Corps.

1 Like

Well, no because supernumerary staff have gliding brevets but are not under 2fts.

I would expect the birds would go when an SNCO leaves the 2fts CoC.

Why do you need a special rank slide to show to the world who’s CoC you come under?

We all come under Auntie Dawn (incl OC 2FTS?) as she’s Cmdt RAFAC so by your logic, we should all have rank slides with her photo superimposed on them?

Mind you, I’d rather come under Carol Vorderman’s CoC. In fact, I’d be happy to work underneath her all the time…

4 Likes