Air Show RAs

Does anyone have a sample Risk Assessment for a local air show (not RIAT!) which they could share?

Mods please move if this isn’t the right category.

Can you risk assess it if you’re not the one organising it? Ask to see theirs first that’s a good basis. Then add the standards for getting lost.

The organisers haven’t done theirs yet, and it might not be done in time to get the PiPE approved!

Oh well looks like a weekend off or just a day out.

This does however highlight the problem with needing permission for everything, especially doing things for 3rd parties who aren’t party to the BS and hoops we have to go through and when we say we need (mainly PLI) things, we need them in plenty of time.

As for RAs if they haven’t got it sorted yet and it’s in the next couple of weeks, I would say it ain’t gonna happen. My limited knowledge of these things is the local authority and police will want it along with a event plan and PLI, so they can gauge local effects.

Then I wouldn’t be going. If they can’t organise a risk assessment in advance I wouldn’t trust them to stick to it.

what exactly are you risk assessing??
all you should be involved in, is the basics of what you are doing so shouldn’t really need to see the organisers RAs.

It will happen. They’ve just not shared their paperwork with us (yet)

It might depend on the Wing. I’ve never provided an organisers RA, as they wouldn’t fit the ATCs requirements.

I’ve seen event organiser’s RAs as accepted by local authorities and so on and they would get bounced in the ATC.

That figures. So I’m on the hunt for a basis air show RA I can adapt to our activity!

It doesn’t mean ours are any better. Our work RAs wouldn’t get passed the ATC. The ATC just seems to need things to be in minute detail. I have lots of ‘iaw’ event organiser’s requirements/instructions, which seems to be OK.

That makes no sense…
You should be doing an RA for the activity.
So if you are marshalling cars for them that’s what you need the RA for, If you are visiting then you need an RA that.
to say you need an air show RA that would then mean you are organising the air show, and I would love to see HQACs face for that one!

Once you say what the activity is then you are more likely to get an RA for that rather than saying an air show.

1 Like

All good points.
Visiting not organising. No car parking duties or similar.
I’m looking for examples to see how other units go about it. Really to see if there’s anything I’ve missed.

Teflon that is pretty much the approach I was thinking of… we will do x or y iaw organisers’ RA or instructions etc. Then add the cadet specific parts.

Doesn’t need to be that complicated, it’s the same as any other visit. Risk 1 Travel Risk 2 Stranger Danger RIsk 3 Obey all the site rules. Job done.

3 Likes

If you want risk assessment advice for air shows, might be worth tracking down the jobs-worth that was demanding printed Risk Assessments from all incoming Air Cadet minibuses at RAF Cosford Airshow a few weeks ago. Saw a few people being confronted and told they had to have the Risk Assessment printed and with them (not just an RA for the airshow but also an RA for vehicle travel). I imagine he could provide some thrilling insights into what is expected in an RA.

1 Like

Was he from the ACO?

Yup, was in uniform and had a luminous jacket saying “AIR CADET HEALTH AND SAFETY” or similar. I saw him ‘doorstep’ a couple of staff as they arrived and parked up.

And could do precisely what, given that you had arrived maybe banish you from the site and make you walk home?

assuming you had completed a walking home RA?
:wink:

2 Likes

Including luminous jackets, designated crossing warden, and had the route approved on SMS with a 1:25 and 1:50k map perhaps…

1 Like