Air cadet uniform

Hi everyone i wanted to ask you all did you get full brand new uniform while you joined or did the squadron given you the used one from ex cadets ???
I got the used wedgewood shirt and working blues shirt i hate it coz it looks old and dirty and almost faded away. Also i got the uniform in almost 10 weeks since i joined on 7th feb but i still havent got part of my uniforms and it takes another ages for them to order it!!!

We are required to retain any returned uniform which is fit for re-issue and to hand it back out before we go to the RAF and ask for new. This can mean that some of the stuff you get may not be as crisp and new as we would prefer.

The problem has been made worse recently as the RAF/MOD were unable to issue blue uniform to anybody due to some contract mess-up. This has made it impossible for us to get any new uniform from our parent units, though the situation is now getting better.

i have never had brand new out the packet uniform other than one DPM jacket and my personal purchased item such as boots.

unfortunately as incubus has identified, everyone is struggling to acquire new uniforms

I always order new uniform for new cadets and keep PWS uniform for issuing as spares or replacement issue. (Ie extra dark blue for camp)

I have never had an issue getting uniform, and as I expect cadets to look after their kit I think the least I can do is ensure it’s brand new when issued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you must be really lucky! Our normal delay time for uniform orders was around 12-16 weeks - and that was before the Uniform Contract issues kicked in. PWS is the only way we can survive and fit out the noobies.

Your squadron is a happy place, you are really lucky unlike our squadron giving away the faded, dirty clothes to new cadets who wants to stay for long time.
I dont understand why some squadron is “difficult to get uniform” is that because the squadron pays uniform that cant afford to?

Nope, all units get (blue) uniform from parent stores.

So there are a wide range of factors determining whether the uniform system of measure, order and collect works in the timeframe!

I think we are lucky. Turn around from order to delivery to WHQ is about 2-3 weeks. We then collect from WHQ. There are sometimes issues with supply, but then I issue PWS if required, but issue new when it comes in.

We are lucky because one of our staff is normally able to put an order in one week and collect the following week from our parent station assuming they aren’t at working when they need to be there, they aren’t always so quick and with some new cadets who we had no uniform small enough for nor did our parent station and it took another couple of weeks before we could get it but before we had a member of staff who could go to our parent station during the week at less notice it was less often that we were able to get kit, also our parent station do seem to have sped up a bit.

Ever since we started issuing working blue shirts and moved away from battledress, cadets, I think have got used to getting new uniform. Being of a certain age my first uniform except the beret was PWS and one of my wedgewoods had a detachable collar.
Given that there are or will be more ATC personnel, I can see new issue of blue uniform becoming less and less common, unless of course the RAF will support a clothing contract to supply the Corps. Also given that the turn over of cadets is much, much greater than RAF personnel, squadrons have a larger stock of used uniform to issue.

Actually getting uniform is a lottery and relies on staff taking a day off or making special journeys to parent stations. This will get worse with the RAF’s drawdown, unless a new way of getting kit can be initiated.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t the regulations say cadets are entitled to a brand new issue of uniform? I am beginning to see how lucky we are, our uniform supply chain is excellent, despite the nearest stations being hours away.

there is also proximity to the local/parent station.

for use we have four within an hours drive…some WINGs don’t have one within that time frame

As a cadet all of my issued uniform was PWS.

In an ideal world, I would order for a cadet once they have joined the correct measurements, but with no way of knowing when this will arrive at the unit, chances are the don’t get brand new kit, unless its being stockpiled.

The only things I would never re issuer are footwear (not that we have any) and hats of any kind

Thats an interesting Point
why have you decided not to reissue Footwear, the Majority of the Cadets I came across will have purchaes pWS or Pre Worn boots, and quite a few will buy used shoes due to costs.

Hats Of any Kind.
Although I can understand berets, Most No1 hats used in the Corps by Sgt(ATC) and CWO’s are used/PWS?2nd hand, there are not many in the corps that will go out and purchase a Brand new Peak cap.

In a Previous lifetime…(To long to remember) I was an RAF Storeman and spent a good few years dealing in Clothing stores and the Initial Kitting for RAF Entrants… our ruling back then for Part Worn Surplus kit was " Never reissue anything that had been DIrectly next to skin… the main items being Shirts/T Shirts/Socks and Berets, In addition to that Trousers Skirts etc would have t be dry Cleaned before issue. Shoes and Boots where always in demand and we usualy had a Wheely bin full of them, or if that wheelie bin wasnt quite so full our Tea Bar was Filled with Biscuits, Sweets, and other thank yous.

Don’t ever, ever, ever go 10 pin bowling!!! Unless you have your own bowling footwear.

Thats an interesting Point
why have you decided not to reissue Footwear, the Majority of the Cadets I came across will have purchaes pWS or Pre Worn boots, and quite a few will buy used shoes due to costs.

Hats Of any Kind.
Although I can understand berets, Most No1 hats used in the Corps by Sgt(ATC) and CWO’s are used/PWS?2nd hand, there are not many in the corps that will go out and purchase a Brand new Peak cap.

In a Previous lifetime…(To long to remember) I was an RAF Storeman and spent a good few years dealing in Clothing stores and the Initial Kitting for RAF Entrants… our ruling back then for Part Worn Surplus kit was " Never reissue anything that had been DIrectly next to skin… the main items being Shirts/T Shirts/Socks and Berets, In addition to that Trousers Skirts etc would have t be dry Cleaned before issue. Shoes and Boots where always in demand and we usualy had a Wheely bin full of them, or if that wheelie bin wasnt quite so full our Tea Bar was Filled with Biscuits, Sweets, and other thank yous.[/quote]

The RAF dont reissue any headdresse for hygiene reasons same with footwear now any next to skin clothing is also not as you rightly say but some things they got away with e.g. CS95’s shirts were not classed as next to skin as you wear a tshirt underneath same with trousers as you are supposed to weat long johns under them

I only ever wear long johns when it’s cold…thermal underwear. Don’t think many people wear them all of the time under trousers.

You should wear rabbits under your trousers if it’s cold.

Might tickle you though…people might see their ears and tails too?!