Air cadet uniform

Not many people ever did but it was designed to be used as such which is why they are not next to skin items

Thats an interesting Point
why have you decided not to reissue Footwear, the Majority of the Cadets I came across will have purchaes pWS or Pre Worn boots, and quite a few will buy used shoes due to costs.

Hats Of any Kind.
Although I can understand berets, Most No1 hats used in the Corps by Sgt(ATC) and CWO’s are used/PWS?2nd hand, there are not many in the corps that will go out and purchase a Brand new Peak cap.

In a Previous lifetime…(To long to remember) I was an RAF Storeman and spent a good few years dealing in Clothing stores and the Initial Kitting for RAF Entrants… our ruling back then for Part Worn Surplus kit was " Never reissue anything that had been DIrectly next to skin… the main items being Shirts/T Shirts/Socks and Berets, In addition to that Trousers Skirts etc would have t be dry Cleaned before issue. Shoes and Boots where always in demand and we usualy had a Wheely bin full of them, or if that wheelie bin wasnt quite so full our Tea Bar was Filled with Biscuits, Sweets, and other thank yous.[/quote]

The RAF dont reissue any headdresse for hygiene reasons same with footwear now any next to skin clothing is also not as you rightly say but some things they got away with e.g. CS95’s shirts were not classed as next to skin as you wear a tshirt underneath same with trousers as you are supposed to weat long johns under them[/quote]May be missing something here… But surely it’s the hot weather that’s going to be the issue.

I really can’t see anyone wearing long johns when it’s 30 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The long johns were issued as cold weather thermal long johns. Why on earth would anybody wear them when it’s not Baltic?! The trousers were not designed to be worn over anything other than underwear…unless you go commando. I rarely wear a t-shirt under my shirt either, it’s more comfortable without and I only wear a t-shirt underneath if I’m going to be doing something more manual or dirty, or it’s cold.

its a multi layered system I know fir a fact when it was first introduced into the forces you had to wear long johns and a tshirt (granted its harder to get caught not wearing long johns) its pretty much the same with aircrew in flying coveralls they have to wear a tshirt and long johns. I am not saying its the case now just saying thats why they could be reissued as they are not next to skin items because of that reason

[quote=“zinggy” post=17322]
its a multi layered system I know fir a fact when it was first introduced into the forces you had to wear long johns and a tshirt (granted its harder to get caught not wearing long johns)[/quote]

You are the only person I know that has said anything about this. Who on earth would be wearing long johns in summer?

Thank you Incubus! Or does this chart mean we always have to wear a t-shirt, Norwegian, 95’s, fleece, smock, gaiters and waterproofs? I think not!! I always wear my long johns under my trousers, said nobody ever.

Of course, the poster isn’t saying that “naked but for a t-shirt” is a valid order of dress for CS95, except perhaps for the RM. :slight_smile:

Well I guess all of us that worked at the clothing IPT at the time had no idea how to do our jobs…

Face palm…

Some activities within the forces require a double layering (long johns) for example Riot *Public Order" Training.
But yes its all part of a layering system. Obviously common sense dictates which part of the layering system you use for the situation in hand. Noone says wear long johns at all times. But you can layer it for the task/environment.

Norway is a vital place to wear them too. And I have worn them in the UK at times. Valuble bit of kit. I always pack mine. Even for the desert I had them.

You could always raise money and purchase a big stock of boots, so everyone can benefit…or just buy a select few MTP that according to you lot cant be re-issued…

[quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=17346]Some activities within the forces require a double layering (long johns) for example Riot *Public Order" Training.
But yes its all part of a layering system. Obviously common sense dictates which part of the layering system you use for the situation in hand. Noone says wear long johns at all times. But you can layer it for the task/environment.

Norway is a vital place to wear them too. And I have worn them in the UK at times. Valuble bit of kit. I always pack mine. Even for the desert I had them.

You could always raise money and purchase a big stock of boots, so everyone can benefit…or just buy a select few MTP that according to you lot cant be re-issued…[/quote]

In all fairness I did say that was how it was designed to be worn not that people have to which is how they used to get around the “next to skin” issue and save dry cleaning costs. I would have no problem with the reissue of MTP or anything else if it was dry cleaned first. As for boots they cant be issued part worn anymore due to hygine reasons. As a Squipper we used to send flying coveralls back as part worn whihc would then be issued to AEF and VGS but we couldnt do it with boots

[quote=“zinggy” post=17353]
In all fairness I did say that was how it was designed to be worn not that people have to which is how they used to get around the “next to skin” issue and save dry cleaning costs.[/quote]

I would say that would be poor design on behalf of whoever designed it. They were obviously never going to be worn with long johns all the time.

[quote=“talon” post=17354][quote=“zinggy” post=17353]
In all fairness I did say that was how it was designed to be worn not that people have to which is how they used to get around the “next to skin” issue and save dry cleaning costs.[/quote]

I would say that would be poor design on behalf of whoever designed it. They were obviously never going to be worn with long johns all the time.[/quote]

Ok am I missing something? Poor design of what?

Its a multi layered system. You wear what suits the situation/task/environment… if you choose not to wear long johns, then thats great. You dont have too.

I have had no problems wearing any long johns under any trouser? The fact of the matter is, its a layered system. You dont have to wear all the layers. But the options there.

[quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=17355]…Ok am I missing something? Poor design of what?
[/quote]

everything.

if as our blanket stacking friend suggests, CS95 was designed, and intented, to be worn with long johns underneath in normal working conditions, then they designed C595 with one too many layers, and should have put pockets on the long johns.

he is not suggesting that long johns were designed as an optional layer should the wearer decide the conditions warrant them, he is suggesting they were designed - and issued - as a fundamental building block of the uniform, rather like tyres are a fundamental building block of a car…

he is, of course, missinformed. they were not so designed and issued.

I grasp (ish) what your saying, but I massively disagree.

underwear
long johns
trousers
goretex

baselayer
shirt(lightweight jacket)
insulating layer (norgie etc)
smock (jacket)
Goretex.

By your way of thinking then why arent there pockets in the norwegian shirts? Or the trusty jersey wool heavy?

And of course the trousers were designed for long johns. You wear a warm layer on your top, why neglect the legs? The quadriceps are the biggest muscles in the body, not letting them warm will have a knock on effect onto your lower legs, your feet. And back up into your core.

If your normal working conditions are a cold environment (not just arctic, scotland, snow etc) the long johns are your first layer. Its just common sense.

This is the most illogical discussion I have ever seen? (Standfast the MTP thread :wink: )

[quote=“angus” post=17432][quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=17355]…Ok am I missing something? Poor design of what?
[/quote]

everything.

if as our blanket stacking friend suggests, CS95 was designed, and intented, to be worn with long johns underneath in normal working conditions, then they designed C595 with one too many layers, and should have put pockets on the long johns.

he is not suggesting that long johns were designed as an optional layer should the wearer decide the conditions warrant them, he is suggesting they were designed - and issued - as a fundamental building block of the uniform, rather like tyres are a fundamental building block of a car…

he is, of course, missinformed. they were not so designed and issued.[/quote]

Im not sure where you got the idea of me being a blanket stacker from as I have said plenty of times that I was an SEFITT :stuck_out_tongue:

As I said before I worked at Defence Clothing IPT for a few years and we trailed CS95’s before anyone ever heard of them we also had a hand in the design that was our job!

[quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=17436]I grasp (ish) what your saying, but I massively disagree.

underwear
long johns
trousers
goretex

baselayer
shirt(lightweight jacket)
insulating layer (norgie etc)
smock (jacket)
Goretex.

By your way of thinking then why arent there pockets in the norwegian shirts? Or the trusty jersey wool heavy?

And of course the trousers were designed for long johns. You wear a warm layer on your top, why neglect the legs? The quadriceps are the biggest muscles in the body, not letting them warm will have a knock on effect onto your lower legs, your feet. And back up into your core.

If your normal working conditions are a cold environment (not just arctic, scotland, snow etc) the long johns are your first layer. Its just common sense.

This is the most illogical discussion I have ever seen? (Standfast the MTP thread :wink: )[/quote]

You are agreeing with Angus. He was making his point by pointing out how illogical the original assertion was.

I don’t believe that the long johns were ever intended to be worn at all times, but I do believe that zinggy was told that by someone who earnestly believed it to be true. In the same way that people earnestly believe a .50 round passing close by will rip your arm off without hitting you or that MTP was designed solely for use in Afghanistan or that the Typhoon was never intended to be used for ground attack…

hence your confusion - our blanket stacking friend is not saying they are a part of your uniform choices to cope with whatever condition you find yourself in, he’s saying they are a basic element of the uniform to be worn whenever the trousers are worn.

not, ‘wear them if its a nobbing day on SENTA in March’, he’s saying ‘wear them when its 30c on Salisbury Plain, and when its a nobbing day on SENTA in March…’.

of course, nobody does that, because that would be stupid - its even possible that whatever slack-jawed halfwit wrote the dress regs wasn’t even that stupid…

When I was a cadet I used to buy my own shirts - it means you can get the size you want and more than just one.

[quote=“LoveChristian” post=17184]Hi everyone i wanted to ask you all did you get full brand new uniform while you joined or did the squadron given you the used one from ex cadets ???
I got the used wedgewood shirt and working blues shirt i hate it coz it looks old and dirty and almost faded away. Also i got the uniform in almost 10 weeks since i joined on 7th feb but i still havent got part of my uniforms and it takes another ages for them to order it!!![/quote]