Air Cadet makes it into HM the Queen's Final

Brief one from me. Bloody well done to the 15-yr-old female cadet from 1344 (Cardiff) Sqn who made it into the Queen’s Final at the Imperial Meeting.

The Imperial Meeting is the biggest target rifle meeting of the year. This year there were around 1100 entrants from all over the world, comprising everyone from first-time novices and cadets to international-level marksmen.

To get into Stage III of HM the Queen’s Prize - the Final - is a huge achievement for anyone at any level of the sport, never mind a first-timer whose first experience of solo target rifle shooting was (apparently) the British Commonwealth Rifle Club meeting about a fortnight before the Imperial.

Stage I of the Queen’s Prize consists of two sighting shots and seven “to count” (scoring shots), at 300yds, 500yds and 600yds. The top 300 competitors, out of a field of around 1,000, go forward to Queen’s II. Usually you need to score around 102-103, out of 105, to make the cut. That in itself is very good shooting, and not something the average shot manages very often.

Queen’s II is 2 sighters and 10 to count at 300, 500 and 600. Out of 150 points, you want to be shooting at least 146/147 to make it through. Only the top 100 make it into Queen’s III.

Queen’s III - the Final - is an exhibition event held at the very end of the Imperial Meeting. This consists of two sighters and 15 to count, fired at 900yds and 1000yds. The winner - whose score is the aggregate of Queen’s I, II and III - wins a cash prize, gets chaired around the camp, wins various bits of silverware and is generally regarded as a hero. The rest of the Queen’s Hundred are still feted as heroes just for getting there.

Remember, all this is shot with rifles not much different from the L81. Better barrels and sights, yes, but at the end of the day they’re all iron-sighted bolt-action rifles held up with a sling. It’s all self-coached as well, so you’re on your own throughout.

So, congratulations to the cadet from 1344 for making the cut into the top 100 TR shooters in the world, beating just under a thousand other competitors - adults and experienced shots alike - to that spot. I didn’t get her name, but long may she continue shooting.

I do hope HQAC and the comic give her the recognition she deserves.

1 Like

Indeed, a big congratulations to her and an even bigger good luck for the competition.

Makes me feel a bit silly having consistently failed to achieve Sqn marksman!

It was confirmed that she was the youngest every finalist (& not sure, but I don’t think that she had shot many - if any(?) - of the long range competitions).

It was Cadet Chloe Jones (her name is already in the public domain, & rightly so!).

An amazing result (she came 88th) - I ran the Queen’s Final scoring, so we managed to put her score on the board for posterity! :wink:

Saw her shooting at pre-CISSAM qualifying match last weekend, she was doing well then.

What’s her Standing like Mike?

exmpa

I think I was marking her target when I was in the butts - best group that I saw! :wink:

She seems to be leaning slightly to her right with her heels slightly apart.

I’ll get my coat…

She just so happens to be a cadet on my squadron that I know very well, I’ll pass on your messages!

An inspiration to ALL cadets, EVERYWHERE. Well done Cadet Jones!!
And, well done Cardiff Sqn for any coaching carried out.

Speaking of which…

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/content/content.asp?site=NRA&id=1347

That would be Fg Off Golaszewski RAFVR(T) of 1344 Sqn… :wink:

(incidentally, shooting a score of 75.0 - that is, 75 with no central V-bulls at all - is so unheard of it’s known as the “impossible possible”, a “possible” being “to shoot the highest possible score.” Shooting an impossible possible in the finals of the second biggest target rifle meeting in the world, thus winning the overall event - that’s something special!)

And, for 2014, she made it again, scoring 289.27, placed 63rd.

Two(?) other members of the ATC also in the Final, including Fg Off Golaszewski RAFVR(T) of 1344 Sqn - 288.35, placed 65th.

Several cadets also helped out with the scoring processes for the Final (I “run” the overall system) & did very well.

[attachment=181]photo-21.jpg[/attachment]

Sgt (ATC) Tom Tatchell also made it to the final!

[attachment=182]10521337_659067944170108_4175201710099333778_n.jpg[/attachment]

All from 1344 (Cardiff) Squadron!

Yep, that was him. He was on the Prize List as “Welsh RA” rather than the Sqn.

Jon Ford was ex-Commsndant - I introduced him to the RAFTRC & he beat me in several matches this year (& of course made the Final, I dipped out on 600x yard count back to miss getting into Stage 2), but I got a higher placing in the Grand Aggregate! :wink:

Facetious question - if Ms Jones (who at sixteen has got a least two if not four imperials left) goes on to win the Queen’s whilst she is still a cadet - can she wear the medal on her uniform?

Regardless well done to all :slight_smile: - aethling in the making me thinks (if not so already)

Hmmm, whilst deeper research in AP1358 would be needed for confirmation (non-military medals used to be for gallantry only?), I suspect not, as it is a civilian shoot, hence a “private society” (forbidden). Are you thinking of the Queen’s Medal for Champion Shots of the Air Forces (RAF)?? That is a recognised award:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafsmallarms/queensmedal.cfm

I’ve shot with John Prictor lots of times - but never beat him! :wink:

http://www.queensmedal.net/files/prictor.htm

The medal does appear in the official order of wear, immediately preceding the CFM.
Should the cadet in fact earn the medal and also the right to wear No1SD uniform I see no reason why they would not be permitted to wear it in No1SD.

[quote=“incubus” post=19793]The medal does appear in the official order of wear, immediately preceding the CFM.
Should the cadet in fact earn the medal and also the right to wear No1SD uniform I see no reason why they would not be permitted to wear it in No1SD.[/quote]

Had a long reply drafted, but it didn’t post for some reason…

Anyway, as far as I can see from AP1358 Chap 8, the medal in question is the Queen’s Medal for Champion Shots of the Air Forces, not HM The Queen’s Prize award.

[quote=“MikeJenvey” post=19795]Anyway, as far as I can see from AP1358 Chap 8, the medal in question is the Queen’s Medal for Champion Shots of the Air Forces, not HM The Queen’s Prize award.[/quote]I never said it was. My information did not come from AP1358.

Not a problem, what is the source/reference document please?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/documents/digitalasset/dg_068133.pdf

[quote]• Queen’s Medal (for Champion Shots of the Royal Navy and Royal Marines)
• Queen’s Medal (for Champion Shots of the New Zealand Naval Forces)
• Queen’s Medal (for Champion Shots in the Military Forces)
• Queen’s Medal (for Champion Shots of the Air Forces)[/quote]

Wrong medal(s) - NOT the HM Queen’s Prize. As previously linked.

Order of Precedence/Wear listed in JSP761 too.