Air Cadet makes it into HM the Queen's Final

I may have mis-read the email in which that QMFCSOTAF was detailed as stating what the medal was, not what it wasn’t.

In short though, if it isn’t in the list (be it from The Ceremonial Secretariat at the Cabinet Office or from the JSP) then it may not be worn.

Personally I think that this achievement by a Dollar Academy CCF Cadet is a bit more significant.

exmpa

Maybe - but (a) she is older & (b) this is the Air Cadet - Queen’s Final thread.

If you wanted to be picky, (c) attendance at Dollar might just show a much better financial position than most cadets…

Perhaps someone might want to sponsor Miss Jones for her own rifle + kit?

However, so far, she is doing rather well with a Squadron/Wg rifle; I shot alongside her at Stickledown - when she gets the nuances of long range wind reading under her belt, she will knock a lot of the well known names off their perches! :wink:

In addition to being a brilliant shooter she’s also a top class NCO and an asset to the squadron.

[quote=“exmpa” post=19811]Personally I think that this achievement by a Dollar Academy CCF Cadet is a bit more significant.

exmpa[/quote]

Do you mean on the grounds that she’s not from Epsom or Gresham (or even Fettes) ? :stuck_out_tongue:

I make no apologies for resurrecting this thread as it will not have escaped everyone’s notice already that Seonaid McIntosh sometime cadet in Dollar Acadamy CCF has set a new British Record for the 3x40 at the ISSF World Cup in Changwon, Korea. It was Seonaid’s first time in the 3x40 at this level and her score beat the British men’s record by one point.

She also won Bronze medals in the Women’s prone and 3x20 at the CWG.

Exmpa

4 Likes

Well done indeed.

However, it should also be noted that her parental shooting background / experience / financial input might just have had something to do with things…

Oh come on, she sets a British Record at a World Championship and you’re harping on about the fact that her grandfather was a pharmacist in Northeast Scotland and her father went to the local grammar school.

To achieve the outcome she has requires a very special level of ability and enormous application to the task. Yes, she will have had support and encouragement but in the end it’s all about her.

Exmpa

Where did I say that? I said “Well done indeed.” Now look up the shooting background in her family.

The fact that I know her (late) grandfather’s profession* and where her father went to school might just indicate that I know a little about the family.

I’m sorry Mike, but at the level she is competing, background becomes irrelevant.

Empa

*He was also Secretary of Elgin Rifle Club so I suppose that you could include that.

Her ability is very clear to see & not in question.

However, we are going to disagree on this - her mother was a Gold Medal winner (1994); with that background of shooting in the family (her sister is also an international-level shot), it gives a very clear advantage compared to someone that might have the same ability, but not the connections / assistance / coaching / provision of kit, etc.

Arguing about private / public education is a completely different situation, but Dollar Academy isn’t cheap, even with bursaries / scholarships.

1 Like