Air Cadet Magazine

Or, it’s accepting that when we have enormous difficulty in obtaining the items in question, we should be pragmatic in our approach at criticism.

My wing cannot get hold of the trapezium of doom, nor the SNCO version. Therefore, I am being lenient in not giving my cadets/SNCOs an ear bashing for not having them.

I have to say that I sort of agree with RearAdmiralScrotum on this. If I see shoddy standards of dress or flouting of regulations in the Comic, it ‘irritates’ me considerably and I wonder how many others are equally peeved?

OK, I agree that Joe Public doesn’t see the Comic by intent, and I get the ‘so what if things are wrong’ bit, but potential cadets often will look at it. Regardless of the fact that these potential cadets won’t know what the regulations etc are, shouldn’t we be showing to our own organisation that we are capable of getting our s**t in a sock and presenting ourselves properly?

I know what my views are of Sqns who turn themselves out badly and I cannot imagine that all of the examples we see in the Comic are done through genuine ignorance, so do the Sqns Cdrs concerned really want the rest of the Corps to view their Sqn badly?

How are SO MANY cadet sqns wearing MTP when I have only just received it in the RAF? In the RAF we were assured that no cadet would be allowed to wear MTP until ALL RAF personnel had been issued with it.

They lied to you.

1 Like

whowever told you that is obviously an idiot - you ought to check they have no responsibility for airworthiness, or firearms, vehicles, or indeed velco or sausage rolls.

the ACO has just (3/4 months?) recieved permission to wear it, it has been allowed to own it since it came out. if you have a problem, perhaps you ought to discuss it with all the regulars/reservists who’ve been flooging it on ebay for several years…

i would wager several months salary that less than 000.1% of the PCS/MTP in ACO hands has been given to it by any MOD/RAF source, what they have has either been bought from people who had no right to sell it, or bought from officially contracted disposal agents employed by the MOD to get rid of it.

in either case your problem is not with the ACO - you should talk to the relevent authorities to make your disgust clear: Air Marshall Sir Stuart Pulford and General Sir Peter Wall regarding the unauthorised sale, and the Secretary of State for Defence regarding authorised sales.

are you brave enough to discuss it with the above,or will you be berating 14 yo girls instead?

As I’ve said to Scrinson, take it up with your CoC and\or the MOD. They are the ones flogging the stuff to surplus outlets who in turn, are flogging it to cadets.

Only a privileged few in the ACO are actually [I]scaled[/I] for MTP and that again, is by agreement with the logistical powers-that-be at Air Cmd.

It is NOT the ACO’s fault for MTP being made commercially available.

rafdaz - do you have kids?

Ok, let’s stop this now. Pick the MTP thread if people REALLY want that conversation again.

They buy their own. Instead of going for cheaper better dpm. When it first came out a few years back, some cadet sqns and indeed the MPGS and lads still in basic training had a full scale of MTP. I had to scrape a few sets together.
I did later get a full issue. Probably after the UOTC and any other useless part of the military got it. (I wont say that R word.)

I know lads, myself included that hate PCS. And MTP. It doesnt even work in some environments so its not multi at all.

Dont get me started on UBACs.

We have digressed.

Bottom line is, dont put the pictures in the magazine if you cant maintain the correct dress regulations. You cant keep moving the goalposts.

Maybe if peoples attitudes in the cadet forces changed then a lot more ex forces would come forward to help.

Because they buy it, stop moaning.

I think I have been misunderstood! I wasn’t berating ANYONE!! Yes, I have kids, and I don’t give anyone in my sqn a hard time for wearing MTP. I was more curious at how so many sqns have obviously acquired this stuff. I discovered at a recent ATC camp, that the old style is actually BETTER for camouflage in a woodland area.

And massively in the Jungle. And the Arctic, obviously when mixed according to terrain with white camo overalls. And in the dark with certain moon states, MTP somewhat “glows” like a ghost. In the desert I found desert dpm/mtp trousers with a DPM smock worked best during the night.

Anyway we are massively off topic and all arguements for and against can be found else where.

On topic though, if you cant get pictures with the correct dress states then dont have any at all. And I am the type of guy that hates all this dress regs, I like to do my own thing in the field. But this is for the public eye. Professional standards and bearing and all that.

In Morayshire I found that a full-body white coverall worked perfectly well at night in the middle of a coo field, to the point where I had people walking within arms’ reach of me who had no idea I was standing there.

Appols for dragging up old thread…but one exisits already so might as well use it.

Is the Magazine dead?
We havent received any copies since before lockdown now.

I thought it went digital, rather than physical copies? But I’ve not seen a link to any for a long time.

Spring 2021 is the most recent one I think.

Yeah.
So… they finally realised when they went digital and could measure downloads… that no one read it!

Im only asking as one of my staff asked me.

Persoankly i always thought it a load of trash.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing only last week. Not see The Air Cadets since before lockdown.

How are Cadet Direct going to advertise to cadets now?

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:
Classic

They’ll just jump on with this…

Send adverts directly to your brain. The amount they charge… They could absolutely afford it.

3 Likes

To be fair they were probably paying most of the costs for producing the magazine!

1 Like

That’s why HQAC have gained all those CFAVs to publish what we do, finding different methods to get out to people.

Oh, wait :roll_eyes:

2 Likes