AEF "Paused"

Typical RAF/Air Cadets, any excuse not to fly.

The RAF, the “Can’t do” organisation.

2 Likes

to be strictly fair - and one tries not to - crabs in far away dusty places tend be brilliant, putting loads (in every sense of the word) on helicopters that would give the manufacturer a fit and throwing servicing schedules and pilot rest rules to the wind when blokes on the ground need support.

some of them show such flash and competance that they could be commissioned, albeit into the less fashionable Regiments.

what happens when they get back to the UK however, is a mystery.

1 Like

Fully agree Angus, however when back in the UK they are probably suffocated by the idiots in charge, idiots who for example think it is perfectly reasonable to issue statements on social media rather than make official announcements with accurate facts and explanations through the official channels.

Very poorly handled and completely against the AC’s own SM policies IMO. Facepalm

I have every respect for the techies/engineers and linies I met in my service.They worked in all sorts of conditions .One of my happiest memories was a detachment I did to Binbrook in 1979.The place was full of Lightnings back then and the jets could be a bit of a pain at times but the esprit de corps between the pilots /engineers/techies and right down to the most junior Flightline Mech was brilliant to see.

1 Like

That was back in the day when you were allowed a sense of humour and a personality.

1 Like

Aye a vanished world.

1 Like

I’m sure a lot has to do with the civillianisation of the forces, and the poor specification of the contracts put in place, along with the need keep costs as low as possible (no overtime, no out of area, no travel allowance)…

1 Like

Totally agree go to any RAF station these days and marvel at how few “blue suits” there are.As to Ts and Cs they have been butchered over the years.Also the recent pay “review” where they regraded lots of trade groups (mostly downwards) was a disgrace real salami slicing by the MOD.

2 Likes

Can we keep on topic please people.

Any update as to this? I’ve heard nothing through my chain of command…

I’ve heard the reason, but asked not to share on social media.

Being vague - poor information was put in front of the ODH and therefore the risk deemed to high (this is follow on from the Nimrod incident) Could be a short as 2 weeks, I don’t anticipate this being a pause to rival gliding.

I’m not asking for the reason posted on Social Media!!! I’m asking for the chain of command to be used, so the correct information can be passed to the cadets.
Themajor, I’m sure it’s nice to know the real reason, but why can’t everyone else know? Is it an Official Secret, that would damage the welfare of the state, if released? Maybe it is a secret as it may show incompetence?
My Sqn’s detail is in early February, I have had to tell them it might or might not happen! Do I organise transport, just to cancel?
I can clearly explain safety issues to the Cadets and Staff, but standing in front saying I don’t know or passing on incorrect information is not right! (The information I posted above was from Wing Staff at an official event, not passed as a rumour on SM!)
Please stop treating us like mushrooms!!!

4 Likes

Surely that is 100% normal for any flying slots.

Couldn’t put it better myself.

The information I have came from our WAvO and had been passed to him at 2230 Fri and was briefed to at our conference the following day.

I have there therefore been briefed by the CoC - admittedly this is verbal (with supporting slides) and not via email so only for those that were in the room.

We were advised that we could get the go with as much notice as the stop - this is unrealistic to respond to, so we are working as if all allocations stand, but we’ll have a least a weeks notice on the go - this way we aren’t scrambling for cadets to fill spaces or the staff to provide transport

So you say the reason is different to the one I posted.
I received the information in exactly the same way as you.
Who is right then, your Wing staff or mine???

I have a suggestion to stop this poor information flow! Every CO, Wing HQ and Region HQ gets a dedicated email address where information, policy and statements can be passed down the chain of command so everyone is singing off the same song sheet and not relying on the drip feed of Facebook and Twitter!!
Hold on …

2 Likes

I’m being intentionally vague and not going into specific’s - the reason why the ODH is unable to sign off may well be linked to what you have posted/been advised.

The announcement was marked “Official Sensitive” was a specific caveat not to release on social media.

There will be as pause while issues that have been identified are looked at and resolved in one way or another.

LW I do know why we have not been told, may be it is because it is another bad news story for the RAFAC.

The issue is nothing to do with the RAFAC. The reason for the pause is quite understandable and issues involved regarding would not reflect badly on anybody for it happening. Sorry for being vague but suffice it to say we are not getting shafted by Babcock and they have not run out of money for overtime for flying on weekends.

Hang on, if it would not reflect badly on anyone, what’s the problem?

Are they really so block-headedly stupid as to think that ‘air cadets to stop flying for two weeks while X widget is checked’ is a worse story than ‘air cadets stop flying, but won’t tell anyone why because it’s secret’?

3 Likes

Whilst trying not to be negative or jumping to conclusions, one cannot deny the overwhelming sense of Deja Vu. We’ve been here before, in April 2014. Gliding was “Paused”, never to resume again, for the vast majority.

VGS, Shooting, now AEF.

Which leaves drill, classes and a bit of AT now and again. In other words, kids can go to the ACF or Scouts and do those very things, albeit probably more regularly.

I look around and I see more and more apathy within the organisation as blunders continue, the cadets have less and less exciting things/opportunities to do and volunteers are treated with disdain. I am starting to wonder what the point in continuing is.

3 Likes

I’m sure you aren’t the only one.

3 Likes