AEF "Paused"

Nothing like and over simplified rumour.

Wait, what?!

This “rumour” was a Wing Staff explanation!
If that is not the reason, please can you enlighten me as I have to tell my Cadets, who were looking forward to the first AEF for ages!!!

The real issue is that the boss throws a pebble into the pond via SM without ensuring that the inevitable tsunami is properly handled.

LeatherWorker, you are absolutely right. We need to communicate efficiently and effectively, something which appears to lack understanding.

1 Like

Twitter is not an effective method of communication.

It’s a complete joke and waste of time. I can’t see how people still use it for anything other than kneejerk reactions and stirring up crap.

1 Like

It’s because of the weather, nothing like someone blowing things out of all proportion to make a good false news story … for goodness sake take a chill pill everyone!!!

Err no. The initial Tweet from The Boss was

That is scaremongering or, at best, naive. The important bit is "I don’t have the detail but… " There are processes in place with lots of rungs in the ladder between an Air Cdre and us. If those mechanisms are bypassed, even with the best of intention, then the system breaks down.

2 Likes

It’s rather an over-simplification and not a case of MFTS not working.

But having revealed where it’d come from, a shall not be surprised.:slightly_smiling_face:

To be fair, there’d be a lot less scope for rumour if we had been given an official explanation…

3 Likes

These people are paid to be mangers. Managers of people and work/activities. If they can’t manage people and work/activities effectively they shouldn’t be doing the job. Not only are they managers but they are supposed to be leaders. They are not the same thing.

Instead of messing around on social media they should actually start doing their job. Twitter is not an effective way of communication.

To release a “statement” to include the words “I don’t have the details but…” is unprofessional, unhelpful and not what she is paid for.

3 Likes

So if what I have been told is not accurate, does anyone know what the real reason for this “pause” is???

Just looking on the Scout website, they seem to understand what volunteering really means. Unless their ‘volunteer’ section is a tissue of lies.

As for the other things, as I understand Scouting everything seems to happen at district level and in our area there are 3 scout camp grounds within forty five minutes drive. We use these all the time for cadet activities. So on all levels there doesn’t seem to be a negative.

I don’t know but I would imagine those of us with NGB qualifications, would have an easier time using them.

1 Like

I think it’s been in the public domain for quite some time (at least a year) that Tutors are continuing to provide EFT alongside MFTS. But it isn’t because MFTS “isn’t working”.

i’ve found myself as a volunteer with the Scouts - part of that is that my Daughter is in the scouts and loves it, and part of it is my disillusion with the ACO (ha! %*!£ you, brand managers!).

its been a revalation - vastly less in terms of resources, but what is achieved with whats available, and the attitudes and accessibility of those in the structures, has been like walking into the light.

its what the ACO used to be. its called fun.

4 Likes

I added this to the Cmdt’s Fb post:

Very strange. Sounds like it is NOT weather-related (“cannot discuss on public forum.”). Therefore, most probable options are airworthiness, safety-related, or financial constraints? Surely 6FTS (or whoever) could have managed this situation to ensure timely notification before a weekend - unless of course another prop departed the fix late this afternoon! Anyway, all weekend AEF events normally require that accompanying staff member to call into the relevant AEF prior to departing. That would have prevented onward travel.

You don’t get the “Friday evening fast-ball” unless there has been an incident or a war is brewing… :wink:

2 Likes

To be fair I suspect it was a Friday lunchtime followed by slightly slow Friday afternoon email cascade :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been trying to do this with our AEF for years, there is never any answer on the OC’s landline or the Ops Clerk’s extension. I did manage to get the OC’s mobile number a while ago and that gets answered about 50% of the time.

I did offer a couple of years ago to give the AEF a page on our squadron website so they could put a message on it on Fridays to indicate if they were flying the next day; this was declined (probably too modern an idea).

Ours has an answer 'phone, works very well (when they are flying cadets!).

1 Like

Does this actually surprise anyone… AEF like VGS is never going to be what it once was…being a cadet in GM Wing who went flying at Woodvale it really doesn’t surprise me. All you have to do is walk in their Maintenance “Mortuary” Hangar and theres usually all but 2 of the G115s and like 4 G109s all being stripped down to the bare bones… add that to the fact when it was the open-ish day at Topcliffe the management couldn’t even foresee crews running out of hours… Its a shambles. Am I grateful for what is done for us… Yes. Its just annoying. I would hope from OUR Air Commandant that we would be told the truth and given an explanation rather than a vague "I don’t have the detail but just wanted to get the message out " im sorry but shes the Commandant… its her JOB to know whats going on and try to provide as much details and help as she can…

4 Likes

You may find that the 2 Tutors were have a 150 hour service hence why they are in the maintenance bays. Plus we do some servicing for Cosford. Please, do me a favour and rather than making a statement like that, ask the question why are they being stripped back rather than making the assumption they are falling apart.

1 Like