AEF "Paused"

Here we go again. Anyone know why?

Havnt heard anything about this in my part of the world(North).

1 Like

It’s on the commandant’s Facebook page (surprise surprise) and had an email with no details in today. Just says until further notice AEF is paused.

Indeed, some are saying they’ve been told there won’t be any until March or April.

Until April… Blown the flying budget on greasing palms for the CBE do we reckon?

5 Likes

it’s a punishment, the AEF will continue when the uniform standards go up.

Or there’s no cash because they are buying uniforms instead.

Join the Air Cadets, and do flying, shooting… Stuff it go join the Army Cadets instead, or even the scouts, or I am sure you could organise your own adventures, probably a lot better than we could.

2 Likes

No news as yet but I can confirm it’s just weekend Ops and it’s not just AEFs, it’s any Tutor flying.

We are just as frustrated as you are.

You couldn’t make it up.

Maybe Babcock are having a strop!

1 Like

I wonder if there’s any link to the Carillion episode?

AEF has been ‘paused’ for those of us with 5 AEF for effectively 4 years. So no change for us.

They’d better start coming up with reasons why we should sign their volunteer agreement, as currently I’m not seeing any, to make continuing with this worth our time.

I doubt if ATC staff approached the ACF or Scouts and offered their services and experience and were able
to bring some new members, they’d say no thanks.

1 Like

My AEF are still flying, cadets went today, so I don’t think it’s everywhere.

By all means put a prompt on Facebook. Something like this needs to reach a wide audience quickly so all options should be used but there really should be something on sharepoint announcements with more details (i.e. Which AEFs are affected)

1 Like

Which AEF?

She could always do an all address email, rather than just her acolytes.

1 Like

8 AEF (Cosford). They didn’t actually fly anyone today it turns out! But this was because of weather, not because of another problem.

Yes, there was a small flurry of email activity in our wg last night after our Tweeter-in-Chief’s beautifully vague 280 character message.

Anyway, the message we received after some proper staff work was that it is something to do with air traffic control capability and it did/does not affect our AEF (8 AEF at Cosford).

Hey ho, at least there’s a glider fleet… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Doesn’t help that 28 Tutors (G115s) have been sold to Finland either…

Scouts would only accept ex ATC volunteers if they could pass a uniform and drill check :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Joking aside the Scout leadership training is pretty rigorous these days: 19 compulsory modules that must be completed within 3 years (most take an evening or a half day plus assessment), a 1-day first aid course, and an assessed weekend camp plus an interview if you want to be adult in charge of an overnight trip, then any activity permits on top of that.

1 Like

I’ve been told that it’s weekend flying that has been stopped due to a lack of Fire and Ambulance support. Also the new civvie contracted flying training is not working, so the RAF have to use UAS & RAFAC hours to train Regular pilots!!

It’s completely irrelevant that 28 have been sold to Finland.