Advice Regarding Flt Lt OC

Depends…
But some WSO are doing cadet stuff nearly 5nights a week, one of my friends is a Sector Officer and is struggling with everything they have to deal with.

I don’t really think it would make the slightest bit of difference…

Right in both instances.
For some reason the last two CAC’s seem to think they know more about the ATC than people who’ve been doing it as long if not longer than were in the real RAF and this mindset is starting to leech down through RCs.
They have made it abundantly clear we are not part of the RAF, so don’t try and treat us like we are.

1 Like

This where this stupid model of just having officers run squadrons falls over. There are people out as, if not more better able and perhaps want to run squadrons but can’t do so officially as they aren’t commissioned.

Spot on. Who is going to worry about anything, come in babysit for a few years and move along or leave.
The problem with a fixed term appointment where your performance makes no difference to your pay cheque, carries no real need to do more than you have to, especially with the way the workplace has been in recent years… You see this with Wg Cdrs.
I suppose (but I see no evidence in those at HQAC) a fixed term role with the potential of promotion makes you pull out all the stops.

I feel your pain. I’ve completed the Sqn Commander’s course, but due to the nature of my job I can’t get time off to do a camp. So it looks like I’ll be a Pilot Officer forever!

1 Like

Which is something the Dawninator and her FTRS staff don’t understand, there is life outside the ACO it is not the RAF

4 Likes

If WSOs are not included in the move around, that just limits to moving Squadrons, which would mean more travelling and doing the same thing in a different place, presumably not of your choice.
Does the four years spell get coordinated across the Wing? What happens if circumstances mean Command is changed inside the four year period?
This sounds good for a career based employment, not sure about it being much point with Volunteers.
But, hey ho, what do I know!

They haven’t figured out that “up or out” doesn’t apply to volunteers :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Because the CIs are being more and more restricted in what they can do.

And also, because the same wing that we’re talking about has an OC that recently said in a meeting “CIs can’t be arsed”.

Now why would a WSO want to go back to a squadron, they’ve escaped never to return and as I said earlier look at the map, some of the rural areas the distance between units is a long way on a dark icy/snowy night. The night then gets extended by another couple of hours, real receipe for domestic harmony, NOT. If this is enforced people will either leave of their own choice or the domestic situation will force it. The RCs in places have said that you are not part of the RAF so there is not restriction on CFAVs saying hasta la vista baby, cutting their ID and walking out of the door.

HQAC, the Dawninator and her sycophants are living a fantasy world, where they think what they say will happen as it did in the RAF, well they are now dealing with people who have one thing, choice. They removed people from the VRT to the CFC and did not really, it is obvious, think it through, oh dear.

1 Like

I would disagree, I have seen no real evidence of this in our wing.

As for CIs not being …
You really need to step back and look across the entire board at this point. I have 3 CIs and they are very enthusiastic and helpful, the next sqn has 5 CIs and refuse to do anything other than what they want to do.
it’s a poor statement but when you get the majority who do refuse to help then it tars everyone unfortunately

Does that tell you that there is a difference in how each squadron is run.

That is un line with para m of the pers form 1-19 that some if us has signed…

No, having met them and trying to engage with them at a sector event
its more to do with the attitude of spoilt children but they are not the only ones.
I have seen many sides of all ranks having worked from CI to SNCO to Officer.
nobody can say they are the best

yeah, I know what you mean BUT if your sqn is desperate for staff would you not step up?
a perfect example of these individuals… the Sqn OC was burying their mother, and your sqn had a flying detail… 2 staff required the Adj said they would go and needed someone else to help… they asked them for some help only a morning out of their lives…
No, they said they wouldn’t help for the flying as it wasn’t what they wanted to do, so the OC had to go and send a begging email around the wing and ask for help, I ended up helping take there cadets.

Sounds like this is an issue corps wide and not just in my Wing… why not comment on my post on the “Valuing Volunteers” area on sharepoint?
Make them realise exactly how much this is affecting CFAVS?

https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/vov/Lists/Ask%20The%20Team/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fvov%2FLists%2FAsk%20The%20Team%2FPromotion%20Delays&FolderCTID=0x01200200E46E40EBC05F8D49ADB2CBD15E1EA1D5

Do you really think they are bothered at HQAC?

We are expendable in HQAC’s eyes, which doesn’t correlate with squadrons.

1 Like

A quite promising reply from RC(N) on sharepoint!

Looks like someone in the chain listens to us! (hurrah!)

And they’re looking at Acting ranks for certain post holders! Hopefully this won’t take more than a few months to introduce…