Advice Regarding Flt Lt OC

Then OC Wgs should be asking ACOS for an exemption so those doing these jobs become Flt Lts… but I guess that defeats the point of the matrix and goes back to the old way… but perhaps it would raise the size of the staffing problem to HQ…

Surely HQAC don’t think that there is a four year Officer in command of every Squadron, does it?

If they stick it out for long enough to get Flt Lt, call them OC. Until then, call them Oi/c

HQAC think there is someone who has given up their job, life and does nothing but cadet stuff in charge of each squadron.
They also think they know what they are doing and are great at it!!

2 Likes

But does an OiC get proportionately less things to deal with than an OC?

If not, then they should be Flt Lt (paid) from the get go!

Unfortunately, some of our issues are made by volunteers. For example, I understand GM wing are now appointing new sqn Commanders on a ‘4 year tour of duty’. So 4 years as OC, and then moved on…

hitting the nail on the had

unfortunately we can all think of a CI who did admin each parade night, fancied the uniform and is now a Sgt/Plt Off doing the same role - how is that progress?

I too like the matrix, even if it means I had to work to meet it - but it meant I left my comfort zone for a weekend, I experienced something i wouldn’t have done and arguably (if only from an experience point of view) has made me a better CFAV because of it.

Not everyone will have that same chance though do to other pressures.

in the position of OC why is that any different to an appointed WSO position with a rank entitlement?

the half way point is achieving X% of the matrix.
be it 75%, 80% or 90%
have made a damn good effort but because we’re all volunteers that last 10-20% can’t be achieved without significant commitment - “wait! Your willing to be an OC, well that is one hell of a commitment, lets ignore these two boxes as OC is far more challenging”

that said I still think if the role requires a rank, then the rank should be held regardless else the individual isnt the right person to fill the role

There are snco/wo doing the same job, and no doubt CIs too.
What of them?

All WSO posts are rank-ranged up to a max rank - Sqn Ldr in most cases.

I think we might see more Fg Offs at Wing / OC level… maybe this is just a way of cutting VA

As you know, there is a lot more to being OC than just this.

Even if someone is the OC, why should someone be pressured to do more for the same rank as someone doing the same role with the Flt Lt tapes.

The precedent was already set decades ago with CO = Flt Lt. Now it’s changed to being a matrix I completely understand people not being happy with doing more for the same.

It’s not just in the Air Cadet world this happens though. Years ago in a sales role I was put on target for a promotion. These were the same targets as someone in a different town had despite them having four times the opportunities for the same sales (my manager never saw it from the same point of view though).

They could just do Flt Lt unpaid if it was about VA…

Agreed on the 1st part
we get too many wannabes in this organisation looking to be in the RAF…
We also get far too many people wanting everything their way…
That is the problem with staff volunteers you don’t really know what your gettting!

4 years as an OC then swapped out…
4years and you hardly have time to make much of a mark in some places, you arrive inherit numerous problems which needs time to sort out and then you finally get your sqn and bang your only have 18 months left…

I had heard this was a wish of HQAC but I don’t think it’s practical. Also with the new matrix etc 4years OC so on the assumption that you are a Fg Off then you have to wait to get your Flt Lt then your 4 years and moved on to another sqn position and demoted to Fg Off. OR you get bumped up to WSO another day 4 years there and then what bumped to a sqn as what?
You will never have a steady rank at this rate…

However, you could look at it from the point of view of someone not wanting to get too bogged down with it all, someone who wants to help out, but doesn’t want to suffer burn out and come to hate the corps and everything about it - like some people you could name on this site.

Most people - and ok, I’m generalising towards the younger (up to mid-30s) end of the scale here - won’t have a single job role that lasts more than 4 years, so why shouldn’t their interaction with a hobby follow the same pattern?

A lot can happen in your personal life in 4 years. Knowing that you’ve got an end date on something can help massively in how you manage your life and stay fresh and involved.

Isn’t that something we should encourage?

1 Like

Moved on to where??

Usually by choice, and rarely by choice downwards - if that is the potential implication here.

What gets me is the massive gang of Sqn Ldrs in some Wings while Squadrons struggle for OCs. A job is given as a “primary post” and said individual no longer attends a Sqn - so that’s an OC and potential Sqn Officer lost. Many of these alleged primary posts don’t take up much time and effort, and certainly no more than many Sqn staff will put in while organising and enabling activities outside of a parade night.

2 Likes

To another “role”. The argument was that people get bored, and squadrons get stuck in a rut. By limiting the time in charge, the CFAV gets the challenge of a new role. I’m assuming that it means on another squadron, since I wasn’t told of any plans to introduce the same terms to WSOs…

That is one way to look at it.

We do already offer a limited commitment staff role - CI. If you don’t want to commit, but want to help, why not be a CI?

Knowing you’ve got an end date may encourage people to give as much as they can - but it may also result in the OC not giving a stuff about causing long term issues - it’ll be someone elses problem to solve…

1 Like

And your next squadron is 10 to 15 miles away, just think of the extra time required on each occasion. Even a short journey can take up to an hour, just think of the resentment when your local squadron is walking distance. cld wet snowy icy noghts, who wants to travel any distance.

1 Like

I moved Wings for that very reason Bob, I was asked to be OC on a Squadron 90 minutes each way from my house as their was no one else. I went and did it but after 3 years the Squadron 10
Minutes from my house came up and I was point blank refused a move. So now I’m in a different region and am much happier!

My issue with the Matrix is the very time consuming things like doing a Blues Camp. I appreciate that if you’ve never done one as staff before it’s worth your while but it’s not the be all and end all.

I have limited annual leave and if I take a week off for a Blues Camp something else I run isn’t going to happen this year, so what happens I get a week of being Training Officer where someone else has already set the training programme and Cadets don’t get a Gold Expedition, well that’s a fantastic trade off! :roll_eyes:

Just look at the map on here and see how far apart squadrons are in some places, either ‘tours’ are for everybody or nobody. If this idea is implemented then people will say ‘thank you and good bye’ and then where do you go?

The dawninator and her sycophants still think they are still in the regular service and can ‘post’ people anywhere they want. This may show them they can’t.