ACPS Cancelled: another kick in the teeth

I’m pretty sure it’s a mistake - I’d spotted the same as @Victor_Zulu for the FI scholarships as I have a personal interest…

They replied:

Our aim is to interview in person, but should this not be possible due to Covid, then we do have the ability to conduct online interviews, but this would only be decided nearer the time.

I’ve replied to thank them & also asked about the EASA FCL terminology.

1 Like

Thanks - will be interesting to see what they say, as I won’t have ‘EASA CPL TK’ but UK FCL CPL TK.

Their reply:

Yes, we are currently in the process of making the changes on the web page.

2 Likes

With the possibility of residential camps restarting soon, presumably someone at 2 FTS is hastily drawing up a list of candidates for ACPS from last years original list? They must know who has passed their EASA class 2 medical and is therefore ready to go.

You would hope so, wouldn’t you…

Regions were asked to prioritise candidates a while back I believe

ACPS is being done at Tayside is it not,
So you may have longer to wait until
You can come to Scotland than you would going to camp in England.

A short while ago WAvnO’s were asked to confirm which of their applicants were still in the corps and able to continue… so there is obviously something rumbling in the background.

1 Like

ACPS places will indeed be filled initially from the remainder of last year’s applicants as long as they are still cadets, and call for more applicants will only be made once ACPS has restarted.

1 Like

Any updates?

Looking to go ahead - soonest we will know for sure will be in a few weeks time - our region at least are confirming spaces saying if it does go ahead it will be very short notice.

Agreed. The restart is tied to national youth organisation policies - this year all the organisations agreed to do things at the same pace which arguably is holding things back, but does at least avoid anomalies like ‘scouts are camping, why can’t we’ etc

I am not allowed to fly with cadets in a civilian light aircraft so am looking for alternative flight training activities.

The ATO that I work with is planning to get a simulator certified to FNPT II. This will have active control loading and 210 degree field of view visual display. No simulator can substitute for real flying in terms of excitement, but I think the FNPT will still be a big step up from the air cadets PTT.

AFIK up to 5 hours (out of 45) flight training for the PPL can be on a FSTD. So if I give a cadet an introductory lesson on the simulator I presume it could be logged towards eventual PPL.

This document is useful in explaining the types of devices and instructor qualifications required:

This https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Pilot-licences/Aeroplanes/Private-Pilot-Licence-for-aeroplanes/ does confirm that up to 5hrs of PPL PUT time can be in a FSTD so as long as you are qualified to conduct the instruction then I can’t see any technical objections to this.

BUT

The training value for a PPL student in doing FSTD training first, before they have actual time in the cockpit, is dubious. The FSTD can be used for PPL training to deliver the 5hrs instrument appreciation - for which it’s quite good. But using it first is less likely to deliver useful training.

But if you’re an instructor you probably already know that, and if you’re not then it’s moot anyway.

Thanks,

Instrument flying in the PPL syllabus is exercise 19 which covers basic maneuvers and instrument scan technique. I think this could be done in about an hour on a FSTD which still leaves about 4 hours of potential FSTD time.

The air cadets PTT was (still is?) used for teaching introductory effects of controls and control of attitude. (blue and bronze wings). It was of limited value for these exercises because without a control loading system it could not replicate the way control forces vary with airspeed. Blue wings training also included lookout technique, but the PTT did not really lend its self to proper lookout due to the limited field of view of the three monitors.

The proposed FNPT II will have both active control loading and a wide field of view visual system. For these early training objectives I think it could at least be more useful than the PTT.

I am current FI(A)

1 Like

No doubt!

Sounds like a well worth while exercise… if going outside of the RAFAC, and the cadets are with suitably qualified instructors, then it’s very much down to the CAA as to what they find acceptable to be logged and count towards PPL issue.

Even if it’s not, it still sounds like a fantastic experience and I’d be very interested to learn more about your plans…

Anything…

The father of one of our cadets had a B737 sim, mega visuals, with partial control loading. Whilst a hobby, he also used it as a commercial venture / airline refresher trg. He has recently had to move (+ sim) out of the area, which is a BIG shame, as we would coordinate “flying” evenings, 4 cadets, doing something like Cambridge to Stansted, & back. The owner passed his CPL licence, so he isn’t just an “enthusiast.”

Super experience, so much so that I might even try to snatch a few ££ from CivComm to get some cadets to participate a similar set-up that is close by.

If you’re within striking distance of Peterborough, try Jet Sim School. Their Boeing 737 sim does not have control loading, but does have a wide angle visual system. They will offer a discount rate for cadets, I think £48 per hour. I took some cadets on their machine a few years ago. The best of them could fly a near perfect ILS approach (with the flight director) after 40 minutes training.

It is not a certified FSTD (and I am not a TRI) so nothing to log, but still worthwhile.

1 Like

There’s also one at Cambridge - might see what offers they could look at for a cadet evening / part day.

Also, several options (same provider) near Mildenhall.