ACC Replaced by Facebook Group Shocker

Having thought about it for a while it seems that (for cadets at least) ACC has been replaced by “you know you’ve been an air cadet too long when…”

Having scanned through it I count dozens of active topics which cadets could discuss on here… Maybe the Mods/Admins could start an ACC Marketing Campaign on there?

You know you’ve been an air cadet too long when… …you join Air Cadet Central?

it has somewhat exploded in the recent months…i have been a member of the page for a long time but only in the last 3-5 months has it really seen big activity

[quote=“Leeroy” post=9804]Having thought about it for a while it seems that (for cadets at least) ACC has been replaced by “you know you’ve been an air cadet too long when…”

Having scanned through it I count dozens of active topics which cadets could discuss on here… Maybe the Mods/Admins could start an ACC Marketing Campaign on there?

You know you’ve been an air cadet too long when… …you join Air Cadet Central?[/quote]OK, but when every new topic on ACC is some variation of “When will we get MTP” then don’t say I didn’t warn you! :stuck_out_tongue:

Dont take this the wrong way but what I have seen on that page im glad they dont post here some really stupid comments on there a lot of the time its very young cadets thinking they know everything.

I know they say there is no stupid question but they are wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“MattB” post=9811][quote=“Leeroy” post=9804]Having thought about it for a while it seems that (for cadets at least) ACC has been replaced by “you know you’ve been an air cadet too long when…”

You know you’ve been an air cadet too long when… …you join Air Cadet Central?[/quote]OK, but when every new topic on ACC is some variation of “When will we get MTP” then don’t say I didn’t warn you! :P[/quote]

Or “Why do I keep seeing cadets wearing stable belts, they are only for ncos!”

But its our duty to educate them… They’re the future of ACC! (if it has one)

“iv been in 4 free yrs an im not gettin promoted?!!?!”

Yep thats the kind of stuff I keep seeing and I wont even mention GPJ’s

Its all well and good knocking the facebook group for some of the comments (thank god I’m not on Facebook any more!) but when you look closer to home at the largest recent thread and its the MTP one you’ve got to think about stones and glass houses…

what that FB page is showing is there are Cadets out there who are looking for answers they either cant get at Squadron or are wanting a second/online opinion on.

there is a demand - Cadets wanting answers
there is a supply - FB group is offering the answers

thinking on a business level and with Leeroy’s thought process, we have a “duty” to educate and therefore ACC can also supply the same product and i would go as far to say a more mature, educated and proven (thanks you recieved etc) source…

we have all seen the odd “why am i not getting promoted” threads which in every case is a fairly short thread but readily answered with sensible comments, not the boasting i predict teh FB page may see “what? tell your CO he is wrong, i was promoted after 4 months!”

Can we ensure that we deliver that product without bell-ends jumping on new, naive, novice posters and berating them?

I also ‘Like’ the said group and have seen the increase in traffic it is experiencing.

We do have a ‘duty’ if you will to educate these cadets and as long as we treat them in the correct manner then why should they not be on here?

Please join in their conversations and get them across here as well, FB is great for quick answers but we can provide the depth they are looking for.

Do promote ACC on FB as much as you can and so shall we! You may have notinced I’ve re-opened the Group as well as having the Page.

cheers

DJ

Forums are a dieing beast. The youth of today choose other means of social media. Forums like this and others will plod on with increasingly old gimmers swinging some lanterns till it costs too much for the handful of users to fund a server. Some would call it progress.

[quote=“steve679” post=9822]what that FB page is showing is there are Cadets out there who are looking for answers they either cant get at Squadron or are wanting a second/online opinion on.
[/quote]

It’s also showing there’s a lot of Squadron staff who are ignoring various APs/ACPs.

So what’s new?

Well, I’ll be staying here as long as it’s still going. I am not, and will never* be on Facebook.

T

*not unless I am dragged kicking and screaming. I don’t want it, and Facebook isn’t getting my personal data.

I think Leeroy makes a very valid point. We need to encourage them here and get them to start posting, whilst not being eaten alive by some of our users.

Maybe people on squadrons could encourage their cadets to come here too?

I have seen Cadets from my Sqn post on the page they ask us questions at the Sqn and when they don’t like the answer they get they ask on the page trying to catch the staff out im sure every Sqn has one unfortunately we have a few :frowning:

Gods! I’ve made a massive mistake.
So much misinformation!

[quote=“incubus” post=9858]Gods! I’ve made a massive mistake.
So much misinformation![/quote]

It cant be that bad :stuck_out_tongue: