You know what really makes me laugh?

I don’t remember it being granted independence!

When they were winning after England got knocked out, they became British and now they’re Welsh again, like Murray at the moment he’s British, as and when he loses he’ll be a plucky Scot.

Corrected that for you.

I’ve just had a parent ask for the postcode for a War Memorial so she can put it into her sat nav. We are on a BoB Parade and we always meet at the war memorial and go for a buffet in the Legion nearby.
I said to her it’s the largeish obelisk with a cross on it on a bit of grass with some flowerbeds around it on the main road. I tried to not be too condescending.

If she can’t find it, I’m phoning social services to get her children taken away … people like this shouldn’t be allowed to give birth.

I’ve never had a sat nav and never will. Being from a time of only paper maps and a road name and the occasional take the 2nd left after the (insert feature), I never got lost. Even better with a GR. Even now if it’s somewhere I’ve never been before I use online mapping and get an understanding of the local area and maybe print out a small section. I’ve got a map on my phone, but the battery drains way like water when taking a plug out of the sink, so I never use it.

Ha ha! It’s like all modern technology, if used wisely, it can be an advantage - such as advance traffic information - helped me going home the other week, as a major section of road had been closed off due to a fatal crash. Last year, on M25, it showed me the issue in time for me to turn off (& before traffic reports on the radio) - the section was closed for 4+ hrs due to a fuel spillage, so I missed getting stuck.

However, if used without any idea of direction or distance, then watch out!!

Some years ago, one of my wife’s friends was coming to visit. Her route to the M25 was simple, an extension of her route to work, so should have been easy. Then around the M25, up the A1(M), & turn off. I was expecting a 'phone call as she got close, as the last few miles were slightly more difficult to navigate.

Journey should have taken about 2.5 hrs, even with a stop for her kids to have a quick loo break. Some 4 hrs later, got the expected 'phone call - but not the expected content, she was lost. So, I asked what was the last motorway junction she remembered… There was the problem, she hadn’t been BEEN on a motorway at all, & was about 50 miles west of us!! Goodness what she had followed on her sat-nag, as when I checked after she eventually arrived, it had “fastest route” selected as default.

Scotland and Wales whingeing about NI getting more money.

Maybe if the SNP and PC were more willing to support the govt, then they may have got some more, but they don’t and just whinge and bitch and baulk things. Maybe they might start to learn how politics really works.

2 Likes

You mean you don’t think you should be upset that a political party is openly getting money for their votes?

Sounds democratic to me… .

1 Like

No it doesn’t upset me in the slightest.

At least this is largely open, most political deals are nod, wink etc, ever watched Yes Minister/Prime Minister or the House of Cards from the late 80s/early 90s, British politics in action.

If Corbyn got his way for a rainbow coalition there would be more dodgy deals than Del Boy and Arthur Daley combined.

Cheap - & undoubtedly considerably cheaper than any potential Labour fiscal plan, based on “spend, spend, spend” to maximise the voter draw.

Hardly ideal though, and it’s deals like this with tiny geographical parties that are another reason why we need PR.

Please elaborate?

Well because of PR we have a number of tiny provincial parties (such as SNP, Sinn Fein, DUP, etc) with a tiny proportion of the votes, with far more say than they should have.

Pardon?
With PR you would end up with all manner of odds and sods forming all manner of oddball ‘coalitions’ which would end up with the country not going anywhere, unless all the minorities get their slice of the cake. It was bad enough when the Conservatives went into a coalition with LD and their simpering gibberish. But it made it easier for the Conservatives to do things they wouldn’t ordinarily as they could blame the LD.

If we look at the situation should Labour form a minority govt with LD, SNP, PC, Greens, not withstanding the fact that the Conservatives still have more seats on their own and the DUP wouldn’t side with Labour, it would be a disaster.

With PR the 2015 election would have led to a massively strong Conservative/UKIP coalition.

And back on topic

HQAC asking us for our opinions

8 Likes

Not sure if it’s laugh or cry.
Almost 79 years to the day that Neville Chamberlain came back from Munich, Theresa May is going to appease eurocrats with a limp-wristed wet fish speech about us fudging leaving the eu.

All we need now is a ‘peace for our time’ style speech when she comes back, when like a certain Herr Hitler all those years ago, the Brussels/Strasbourg (depending on what day of the week it is) nobodies will be laughing their socks off.

Maybe I am reading that wrong, maybe it’s the rum, but can you articulate that another way?

I can see May coming back and saying we’ve got a deal and everything will be OK, just like Chamberlain on returning from Munich, when in fact all May is doing is just appeasing the foreigners who are scared of the UK leaving the eu so are acting like children in playgrounds and putting up all manner of invented barriers, like wanting us to pay into the club after we’ve left.

If it was just a case of working through the process and leaving just like that, it could see more countries (Greece, Italy, Spain etc) thinking we don’t need the constant interference and saying they want to leave, which would see the eurocrats out of nice little earners.

Reading about the election in Germany on Sunday, there is I feel a real hope among the eurocrats that Merkel gets in again (ie no election surprises like the Yanks), as it could throw the federalisation of Europe project into disarray.

1 Like

The news that umpteen million Yanks might have been duped by social media posts during the last election. Frankly if they are that stupid should they even be allowed access to social media, let alone vote.