You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

Football is worth billions to the economy all the way from grassroots to Premier League and national teams. That’s before you look at the positive social impact.

Maligned for many reasons and some are valid, football is integral to many facets of society and the economy. It’s the most played sport in the UK and easily the most accessible to the broadest range of fitness and ability levels when you consider the large number of local 11-a-side divisions, senior leagues, a detailed age grading of youth leagues, 6-a-side, 5-a-side, women’s football making large strides in recent years, futsal, walking football…

GMG when people slate an entire sport, its players, and fanbase out of bias or just because “there’s too much money” in it. (I did pick up on your little devil :wink: ).

I enjoy football, rugby, tennis, and cricket, and have played all four. I watch and enjoy a wide range of Olympic and Paralympic sports. Sport - all sport - has value.

1 Like

This football talk is scaring me. Does anybody want to talk about… the best way to model refuelling drogues?

2 Likes

Guys, I just checked and, it appears - and this may come as a shock to some of you regulars on here - But.

YOU DON’T NEED TO BE A MOD TO START NEW TOPICS!

7 Likes

Can there be a new “Sport” category in Non Air Cadets please? The egg chasers and willow swingers might like a thread…

Or is there somewhere preferred/should we stick with File 13?

I only proposed the idea (and I did keep grinding my gears :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) to see if there was interest…

Phew, need some water on the line, the reel is burning out with the speed of the bite!! :joy:

That said, I still think it is far too commercial & too expensive in many respects.

1 Like

I found it amusing that our main man Monsieur Wenger kept his job while others fell in their droves.
I wonder if Emrey will get as long?

1 Like

Tbh Newcastle (apart from a few years under Keegan) have always been like this well minus having Ashley owning us .Then again having supported them since the 60s Westwood ,Mckeag were in their own ways just as bad as Ashley as the limit of their ambition was for the club to stay in what was then the old First Division.Just as Ashleys is now to merely stay on the EPL gravy train.
Im not asking for miracles just for the club to show ambition and for the lads who wear the shirt to put in a shift every week. Im not one of the gloom merchants who hit the panic button after three games. Onwards and upwards.

Locally over the last few weeks three “new road layout” signs, which has meant replacing roundabouts with traffic lights which has increased journey times. I bet at some point there will be incoherent rambling about traffic pollution, but when you have traffic sitting at lights what do they expect.

Same around here. In Knaresborough (N Yorks) they have abolished two sets of traffic lights, that always had big queues, and put in two mini roundabouts instead. Result…no queues at all!!

1 Like

This test series, the World Cup has gone to their heads and not we can’t last a single over without losing wickets :roll_eyes:

Dont you think its down to overkill by the tccb? Ive never known so much cricket and having tests in September is daft.

WHQ returning CI application paperwork to sqn because the person reviewing the evidence pf ID did not sign the forms.
Not happy as new CI went to WHQ and THEY FORGOT TO SIGN THE PAPERWORK. What a waste of £6.35

3 Likes

sigh

What’s wrong with that?

It’s clearly a clever way of displaying badges available for cadets. Cant you see the numbers above each badge.

I might even steal the idea!

And before you say use a brassard. You cant fit all the badges on! Especially once they move up the badges!!

Tongue in cheek mode on…
The reason we had badge shortages for so long was because of units, Wings and Regions buying up stock of badges they didn’t need. These badges are not needed by the unit, as they could easily produce a poster showing this…
Tongue in cheek mode off.

2 Likes

Had??

I was thinking the same. There are no badges (other than classification) available through the official channels for us other than flying badges.

I know of some courses in my region that have got to the point of charging cadets a pound or two. To cover beverages, resources including a badge as the wing/training team have had to privately purchase then

1 Like

How do you know they didn’t buy them from Cadet Direct?

Maybe I’m in the minority, but our Wing has caught up now. There’s still a slight delay, but it’s mostly just the time it takes to process the paperwork.

Hence the “tongue in cheek” bit…