You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

I am eligible for the cards through means other than RAFAC but I get your point re. RAFAC volunteers (and I think staff cadets) being lucky to be eligible.

1 Like

Generally speaking I’d say that from the amount of unpaid work given back to the community that your average CFAV gives, a voluntary scheme for retailers to opt in for a small discount has been well earned. Even if it is intended for regulars/veterans. If the scheme didn’t feel us worthy it wouldn’t agree to let us be part of it.

Getting a bit fed up of this forum constantly talking down its volunteers.

We shouldn’t be grovelling. An awful lot of time and effort goes into giving thousands of youngsters a fantastic start - the organisers of this scheme obviously feel that is worth something.

So yes, a thank you to them for recognising that. But at the same time do we have to feel guilty and apologetic for every benefit it brings?

Sorry if I’m taking you out of context, it just feels like a lot of apologising and not a lot of pride seems to be going on at the moment.

4 Likes

And I’ll roll that into my GMG;

That I should feel almost guilty and apologetic to spend a night in the officers mess, be able to join the raf club, claim VA, be given back mileage or be part of a discount scheme or wear the uniform of my parent service…

When hours and hours are given to develop young people, expanding its blue footprint and preparing some of them for a career in its service.

The thing that gets me the most is it isn’t even the parent service personnel that has this problem. It is its own volunteers.

I’ll get off my soap box now.

7 Likes

I’ve made good use of the DDS discount code for 15% off at Bloom and Wild, the other half has enjoyed it as well, helps make up for the time I spend.

I’m also not ashamed to ask for a military discount, particularly in large chains. Take what you can I say.

4 Likes

A lot of places that are accepting of these types of schemes are basically daylight robbery anyway! Might as well take the discount that is available to you to bring them down to a normal price.

3 Likes

No I agree and point well made.

Yes we aren’t the same as regular/reserve service but we do provide a useful service to cadets some who join the forces, to and actually I get a lot from it as a volunteer too.

I felt guilty to ask Wing to sign off my card (before I became eligible through other means). I also feel guilty about becoming a member of the RAF club so I haven’t yet joined (also partly because I don’t know if I’d get value but that’s another story). I don’t feel guilty claiming VA, but can see why you may, but I do find it a massive faff to do so.

Maybe we need to create a more positive movement about celebrating what we do.

2 Likes

I think we should.

I joined the RAF Club this year; had one visit and the place was superb, and it turns out my money is as good as a regulars! They’re up against it at the moment with covid, they’d like you to join and will give you a warm welcome when you visit.

But yes, certainly we should be a lot more positive about our cadet version of service.

1 Like

Makes burger King affordable!

2 Likes

When I say we’re lucky to be in it it’s more a case of the MOD appearing to be anti-cadets in many situations so I’m surprised they allow us to be part of the scheme. I tend to see using it as covering my costs and time in volunteering. As for the RAF Club they welcome us there. Don’t feel guilty, if anything they need the money.

3 Likes

The biggest wish I ask for is that the MOD make more of a thing about Cadet Forces when getting companies to sign up to the military covenant.

Having an extra few days hols to cover cadet stuff would be amazing… And yes I know its voluntary etc but we all know how it works

5 Likes

I didn’t know they did a discount? That’s good as they are ££ for what they are.

Although saying that, I would really like it if Five Guys or McDonald’s were on there!

Keeping it on topic - Grind my gears McDonald’s do a student discount but not a DDS/blue light one.

1 Like

Maybe it would encourage more people to go into uniform :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I’m fortunate enough that I get 6 days paid volunteering leave (not just for cadet stuff) plus paid time off for an annual camp each year (it doesn’t explicitly say a week but I’ve not wanted to push it yet for a longer camp).

IIRC McDonalds (at least up this way) do have some sort of offer. I think it’s restricted to particular menu items.

Edit to add: Looks like it’s up to franchisees:
https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/help/faq/19190-do-you-offer-free-cheese-burgers-to-armed-forces-personnel-just-as-you-offer-it-to-students.html

Tried them a couple of years ago on our cup trip to Derby, had already successfully got discount at multiple Costa stops en route.

Unfortunately it was a no. But they gave us on of the beers for free.

Sometimes it just depends who is on the till

20%!!!

Five guys would be dangerous to my waist band

Yes it is franchise specific. Near me don’t get anything. I did manage to get a meal at the staff price at a McDonald’s in a service station once but unfortunately I can’t remember which one which is really frustrating! I do think it really depends on who is on the till!

1 Like

Normally treat it like having an NUS card so free item when a meal is bought

#CoversMyMcflurry

1 Like

I flashed my MOD90 at Vauxhall, and got some discount on my new car a few years back.

1 Like

How do you get a car discount at the train station?

1 Like