Year 8 / 12 year old cadets

Has anyone been given any formal advice/ information or directives, updates forms, paperwork regarding what we do with 12 year old cadets?

Do with them what you’d do with a 13 year old before the change.
General instructions are in ACP20 PI501. A specific guidance for Scottish units was sent by email but hasn’t made it into the ACP yet.

There is a new F3822A on Bader, but it looks like it has been drafted by a work experience youth. Not a good impression as the first bit of paperwork a parent will see from us!

Bader accepts them at 12, added my first last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ve got our first intake at the end of this month… will be interesting to see what our “offer” will be given that we’ve had no guidance on what they can realistically do/achieve in their first year…

As has been said; just accept them as for any other cadet. The rules regarding flying still say 13 yrs 3 mths minimum, but that will apparently be amended shortly to reflect the new joining age.

From my understanding there are plenty of core activities that year 8’s are not excluded from.

Gliding, should the fleet ever regain airworthiness, has no minimum age limit, only a length of service criteria of 12 weeks from enrolment.

SAA and LFMT have no minimum ages, just a reliance on physical and mental capability by OCs.

Just as an aside - but shouldn’t ACC update the front page with the new regs ?

[quote=“Stewie” post=20754]From my understanding there are plenty of core activities that year 8’s are not excluded from.

Gliding, should the fleet ever regain airworthiness, has no minimum age limit, only a length of service criteria of 12 weeks from enrolment.

SAA and LFMT have no minimum ages, just a reliance on physical and mental capability by OCs.[/quote]

They may have changed to ACTO on age limit for gliding but 22 Group orders still remains at 13 and 3 months for any passengers including cadets.

[quote=“tingger” post=20814][quote=“Stewie” post=20754]From my understanding there are plenty of core activities that year 8’s are not excluded from.

SAA and LFMT have no minimum ages, just a reliance on physical and mental capability by OCs.[/quote]

They may have changed to ACTO on age limit for gliding but 22 Group orders still remains at 13 and 3 months for any passengers including cadets.[/quote]
No joined up thinking then :ohmy:

Just come to add my first new cadet based on the updated paperwork - The form no longer asks for the School details but Bader will not let you enter the cadet without them. Useful as always. :ohmy:

1 Like

There are several stupid things that Bader insists that you MUST include. Things like street names - what if they live in the country and not on a street (as with about 75% of my cadets)?

Just found out they cant take part in the junior Football and Rugby competitions and we are trying to define if they are capable to run the Cross Country.

AOC did say that sports were trying to define if we should alter our sports to easier ones to Umpire, I’ve not been asked to be involved. Any one else been asked to input?

The problem with sports is that we are governed by the national bodies wrt age groups. Years ago the ATC did its own thing I remember as a 16 year old playing against and with 21 year olds and likewise 21 year old playing against 16 year olds in rugby and playing up an age group. We had a PE teacher (who was a football and rugby coach & ref) on the sqn in the 90s and he refused to referee matches due to the age disparity, when asked by Wing. He did the coaching and selecting, but that was it.

Most sports shouldn’t be a problem as they have age categrories. All it means is, team sports might more problematic purely in terms of the numbers required for a team/squad, but I don’t know. But that applies regardless of the sport in the ATC.

I don’t see any need for more sports, as it has the potential to just get silly.

in regards to Cross Country, under 13’s cannot run the same distance, its has to be under 3000m i believe, and as such most cross country events are at least 5KM

If you are running under UK Athletics rules, 3500m is the max for U13.

[quote=“glass half empty 2” post=20904]I don’t see any need for more sports, as it has the potential to just get silly.[/quote]I would like to see a poll to see what the most popular sports amongst our female cadets are, if asked to put Netball, Hockey, Football and Rugby into order.

I’m guessing that netball wouldn’t make the top two…

Still not a peep out of the chain of command wrt whether or not 12 year-old cadets can fly or do any of the good stuff within the ACO.

:frowning:

Why should they? No one else can at the moment! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“GOM” post=21688]Still not a peep out of the chain of command wrt whether or not 12 year-old cadets can fly or do any of the good stuff within the ACO.

:([/quote]
Queue Donald with an announcement that they can do the British Safety Council Entry Level Award.

[quote=“Batfink” post=21693][quote=“GOM” post=21688]Still not a peep out of the chain of command wrt whether or not 12 year-old cadets can fly or do any of the good stuff within the ACO.

:([/quote]
Queue Donald with an announcement that they can do the British Safety Council Entry Level Award.[/quote]

Not in my squadron, they won’t.