Work experience camps query

I can only seem to find the information for the RAF Regt work experience 2014 - are there any other work experience camps at all, and does anyone know when the dates for them become available?

Nope, they all died a death when the WO in charge of them PVR’d or was made redundant - can’t remember which!

Regiment camp is the only one that is persisting.

[quote=“redowling” post=13829]Nope, they all died a death when the WO in charge of them PVR’d or was made redundant - can’t remember which!

Regiment camp is the only one that is persisting.[/quote]

He retired and went working for a contractor who monitored military catering contracts, which was his last job before he had a secondment to HQAC for work experience projects. Really nice guy to chat with, shame he couldn’t be replaced. Having supervised a couple of the camps they were really good as well.

That’s a real shame, but at least one is still running. I went on Regt “battle” camp when I was a Cadet, but from what I’ve heard it has changed quite a lot since then. Is there a general consensus about the camp being good/bad?

It’s definitely something HQAC should look at bringing back in, we certainly had cadets always asking about them!

I did the camp 2 years ago and it was basicly the PGSC. it was alot of PT, but i got to meet cadets from all over the corps, we were all given numbers and you were know by that number for the week. but yeah it was good and we had a go on a DCCT.

Having DS’d it, I wouldn’t say it’s great as a general interest sort of camp - but if you’re serious about joining the regiment then go for it, as it’s basically a free go at PGSC/PROC!

I’ve not heard of these types of camps before. What sort of format did they take?

Is it the kind of thing that would be interesting to cadets?

(those of you who know what I do in real life may be able to work out why i’m asking!)

cheers

DJ

They were dedicated to one particular trade, eg music, regiment, police etc. The ones I did we’re five days long inc arrival and departure and were an intensive look at the unit, more then what you would learn or do on an annual camp. The DS were drawn from corps wide like the attending cadets (normally 15+) and the DS were just there to supervise, get from A to B and that’s it. Sometimes the organising regs would even collect the cadets and say have a lie-in!

There would be an intensive programme of activities, on the various sections coupled with a few talks from various people. I recall SIB giving a very stony faced talk and mid way through giving up saying, “…this is boring the crud* out of me, so it must be doing the same to you…let’s have a look at the weapons we’ve confiscated in investigations over the years instead!” Nice bloke eventually.

They gave the kids a few hours of baton training, the. Let them loose on the station Feds who called down to help on request. Now we all laughed at that, well all apart from the Feds.

Towards the end was a "this is how’d you apply, this is what we need, type chat and that was it. RTU.

There was much more, but can’t fit it all in! Oh, no drill either. Smart walking only…