Winter Skills courses

Afternoon all,

I have been looking into the possibility of running a winter skills course in Scotland around Feb next year.

Does anyone else have experience of running these? Any recommended companies that people have gone through in the past?

Any help well received!

We run them on regular basis for cadets. We have access to kit, center and instructors. Dependent on how long you want to stay im sure something could be sorted.

Blackburncottage.co.uk

If you want to run it for staff, there are many other places and instructors.

Excellent, I am looking at running it for cadets, we have a lot of very good climbers and hillwalkers in my wing however they hit a glass ceiling when it comes to winter walking, and I am keen to provide them an opportunity for some winter skills training, nothing too long only a few days? What length of course do you guys run?

Sorry just re-found this thread.

We have access to 2 WML and a tame MIA, so any length of course is possible.

We normally go over a weekend due to work, but get in touch if you want to plan something.

Thanks for your reply! What kind of numbers could you take? I would assume quite tight ratios?

Would you cancel if it was cold, snowy etc?
Would people be able to get to the location if it was cold, snowy etc?

Confused by your point? It’s a winter skills course, it is supposed to be cold and snowy! So no wouldn’t cancel if those were the conditions. Travel around these areas in winter conditions is generally fairly easy, and the roads tend to be cleared and gritted well.

It was exploring the irony of a winter skills course when as soon as we get a dusting of snow, the country grinds to a halt.

Outside of Englandshire and townies in Scotland, people know how to/get used to driving on snow. I guess once its over 4-5 feet then we have a problem for a couple of days, but it is then back to normal.

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Dont be weak. Get some skis on your feet lad. Cross Country your way to work!

[quote=“glass half empty 2” post=19522]It was exploring the irony of a winter skills course when as soon as we get a dusting of snow, the country grinds to a halt.[/quote]Scotland doesn’t!

I know loads of townies that are useless on an overcast day let alone snow!

RATTO S&NI is running a Winter Skills Course in the Cairngorms early February 2016 and has done a few in the past. Happy to pass on course details/contacts.

MB

Edit: just realised that the OP was last year, still happy to pass on the details if it would be of any help.

the RAF used to run a course for cadets at Grantown on Spey - that was a good course…

if anyone is looking for such a course and gets a bit nervous as the prices being offered, it might be an idea to contact the Kinlochleven Training Centre (JSMTC)… you might be surprised at what can be arranged.