Wing Staff Officers Course

I seem to remember a while back that there were some musings around ATF running a WSOs course? Anyone know any more?

It hasn’t come out yet.

I thought this was for ExOs with little or no experience of the ACO to attend OSC. Not that they’d have much more of a clue after IMO, but it’s a gesture.

From my experience in the last few years, WSOs don’t need a course they just need to keep up with the numerous changes that keep happening. A few of my mates who have lost the will and gone onto Wing Staff have said that within a very short space of time they lose touch with what happens and the effects this has on sqns. One of my WSOs has been away from the coalface for so long they say do this and that in a general way, but then admit they don’t have any idea of what happens. I invited my mate to register a cadet to do an exam on Ultilearn and after waiting 25 minutes just to get on he decided it wasn’t going to happen. He had to use my account as he didn’t have an ultilearn account. He walked away with an insight to one of the joys of modern sqn life.

Thank for an insight in your experiences, again…

No- there is a specific course in the planning. The WEXO thing is different.

There is a course being planned. The SSC (Senior Staff Course) - aimed at senior officers who are in command positions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So there are plans to have a course but its not available yet?

Anyone know of any timescales?

Is it for people who are appointed to Wing Staff positions after X years on Sqn or is it for those appointed to senior positions on Wing Staff? (Wg Cdr/ Dep OC Wg etc)

It’s for Sqwabbling Bleeders and wing commanders.

is this due to come about before/after the WO course we have heard about yet seen nothing??

#cynical

Not quite, when I was told at cranwell a good few months ago it is for those who have an “executive command” role.
Such as sector commanders, WSO’s and so forth.
There are officers out there who hold these roles and are not Sqn Ldrs and above they are still Flt Lt’s.
I think you will find it will become a prerequisite for getting Sqn Ldr if the course gets up and going
Similar to in our region you need to be a Fg Off for 4years, attended SCC and a OIC before getting Flt Lt.
(Unless you did the 90+years Fg Off route and not an OC…)

[quote=“steve679” post=25956]is this due to come about before/after the WO course we have heard about yet seen nothing??

#cynical[/quote]
Nah they bring that in once all the dross they let in as SNCO’s quickly when they implimented the Laser review have retired!
So it doesn’t look as if they keep failing people! :wink: