Why do the Air Cadets shoot?

This is probably a little bit of a dumb question but I’m currently in the process of making some info sheet about shooting for my squadron open day. I’ve got the relevant information about the badges and the different rifles but I have come to a sticking point as I can’t really find much about why the air cadets shoot. If anyone has answers that would be greatly appreciated.

I’m going to use the ATC as the example.

The aims are of the ATC are:

-To promote and encourage among young men and women a practical interest in aviation and the Royal Air Force (RAF).
-To provide training which will be useful in both the Armed Forces and civilian life.
-To foster a spirit of adventure and to develop the qualities of leadership and good citizenship.

Looking at the first 2 points provides our answers. The Air Training Corps (and particularly the predecessor organisation, the ADCC) were founded to provide young men with the experience and expertise needed to join the armed forces. A key component of that is being able to shoot a rifle accurately.

Why do we still do it today, given we’re no longer a recruiting and training organisation for the RAF? A) it’s fun and b) it teaches discipline. The more disciplined you are then, typically, the better shot you will be.

7 Likes

It’s also a sport, where we go and enter competitions!

I know a number to cadets who learned to shoot in the ATC then picked it up outside the org and did loads of competitions!

1 Like

Sports is a major one and the competitive element but also we’ve seen an improvement in those with anxiety and other things. They can improve their overall focus and self-control, learn breathing technique and you can see it reflected outside the shooting environment.

2 Likes

It’s also (obviously) useful for the military skills side of our training syllabus

4 Likes

As well as the good reasons above, I partly explain it to parents as an activity to teach cadets about safely managing risks and understanding responsibility for potentially dangerous items. Then, I draw the parallel with learning to drive responsibly.

9 Likes

Careful, HQAC will stop that soon :roll_eyes:

Ah, but postal competitions are (relatively) cheap.
Don’t need no expensive MOD contracted coach.

Exactly - just got from the Imperial Meeting at Bisley - lots of competitors who did just that (190th for me in The Grand Agg, done better, done a lot worse! :wink: ). Same for many Service personnel.

Not as far as local Service engagement teams are concerned.

Because we’re not allowed to issue them with pitchforks.

Welcome to the dark world of sarcasm, otherwise known as ACC!

1 Like