Why are the PTDs restricted for Road Marching / Nijmegen?

Just something I’ve often wondered and I saw that COS has given approval for 9 PTDs for this in 2014…

Aww, I was hoping they wouldn’t bring that back. God knows why they limit it. But 9 is more like it. I struggle to get my training days long enough to claim pay anyway.

Unknown, it was restricted 2 years ago and has not been taken back.

Considering that other staff can claim all their allowance on one duty, I think it is wrong. If we want staff to diversify more, then there should be a limit set on all the activities, ie you can only claim a maximum of 7 days a year for the same activity.

Level the playing field from staff who like/enjoy Nijmegen and commit over 30 days a year to training for and completing the event.

JM

Nijmegen isn’t part of the core cadet experience. Why should it get extra days? In fact why get anything at all for it? Would the cadets miss out if we didn’t do it?

:popcorn:

It doesn’t get EXTRA days, it is limited to 9 days out of 28.

Yes, I think they would miss it. It is an event where cadets complete on a equal footing with military, and also if done correctly, allows the cadets to visit some of the WW2 history in the local area.

I’m struggling to understand how they’d miss it. I mean, those aren’t really “exciting” things are they?

1 Like

I’m struggling to understand how they’d miss it. I mean, those aren’t really “exciting” things are they?[/quote]

I do believe it is an exciting event altogether, from learning about Operation Market Garden to taking part in what is regarded as the premier walking event in the world, taking part alongside 46,000 others.

The atmosphere of walking through towns and being cheered on by thousands and having their own little street parties with music blaring out.

The final straight (Via Gladiola) where along the route patients from the local hospitals are brought out to cheer you on.

Meeting and talking to people from all routes of life, meeting troops and cadets (and showing some of them up

:wink: ) from various different forces/areas.

The atmosphere at Camp Heumensoord, especially walking into the finishing ‘beer’ tent at the end of each days march.

And last but not least the fact that it is an event the cadets should be proud that they have completed, it is a very physically strenious activity which a lot of effort goes into for training.

So Plt Off Prune, can I ask have you ever completed the marches? If not, how can you say that someone wouldnt miss doing it!

I’m struggling to understand how they’d miss it. I mean, those aren’t really “exciting” things are they?[/quote]

I do believe it is an exciting event altogether, from learning about Operation Market Garden to taking part in what is regarded as the premier walking event in the world, taking part alongside 46,000 others.

The atmosphere of walking through towns and being cheered on by thousands and having their own little street parties with music blaring out.

The final straight (Via Gladiola) where along the route patients from the local hospitals are brought out to cheer you on.

Meeting and talking to people from all routes of life, meeting troops and cadets (and showing some of them up

:wink: ) from various different forces/areas.

The atmosphere at Camp Heumensoord, especially walking into the finishing ‘beer’ tent at the end of each days march.

And last but not least the fact that it is an event the cadets should be proud that they have completed, it is a very physically strenious activity which a lot of effort goes into for training.

So Plt Off Prune, can I ask have you ever completed the marches? If not, how can you say that someone wouldnt miss doing it![/quote]

Looking at your response, it sounds as if those are your reasons and not the kids. If it was that good, why are there not thousands trying to do it - seriously. Oh, and no, I haven’t had the pleasure of it.

Whilst yes they are my reasons for enjoying the marches now as a 23yr old CI, they were my opinions when I first completed the Marches as an 18yr old Cdt FS and the reasons I went back a year later.

It is the aforementioned reasons (re: the atmosphere) why my Wing (Middx) take so many cadets (up to 120 in previous years IIRC) to the the Marches each year

Nijmegen is a very valuable training experience, and a great achievement for anyone who manages to complete it - more so perhaps for the under 18s. In fact, having just completed it for the first time (as a regular in my 30s with a team of reservists), the teamwork and determination needed to get through the 4 days are - in my view - excellent preparation for the physical and mental questions you would be asked should you ever find yourself in a military training environment, be it as a regular or a reservist.

I took the chance to speak to quite a few fellow marchers, including both “veteran” Air and Army Cadet staff (uniformed and CIs) and cadets (quite a few being first timers, like me!), and the satisfaction at seeing them complete the 4 days was almost as great as seeing all of my own team finish. I just wish I’d had the opportunity to do it as a cadet.

As mentioned, it’s a good opportunity to go and learn some valuable lessons of our military history too. :slight_smile:

(although there’s only so much of Norfolk and Suffolk Wing’s singing that one can tolerate!) :lol:

[quote=“Plt Off Prune” post=9748]Nijmegen isn’t part of the core cadet experience. Why should it get extra days? In fact why get anything at all for it? Would the cadets miss out if we didn’t do it?

:popcorn:[/quote]

Nijmegen is an ACO Core Activity (CA) and forms part of the Core Cadet Experience (CCE). It is one of the Desirable Core Activities listed in Ser 3b of ACTO 11.

Desirable Core Activities are described as “Positive cadet activity that we wish to encourage but that may be constrained to small numbers of cadets or not widely available or individually expensive”

And as a result “May be funded publicly or through centrally held non-public if approved and funds available iaw ACP 300”

But going back to the point. I’ve currently got 6 cadets on the unit who have completed Nijmegen in the last 3 years. None of my staff are involved in the running of the event for the Wing, we just encourage the cadets to take part in activities they’re keen on! I’ve seen it have an effect on the cadets involved mainly in terms of their determination to be part of a team, organisational abilities (getting to practices, events, sorting paying for activities etc) and most importantly their fitness. It gives many of them their first trip abroad without Mummy or Daddy and allows them to be part of an internationally known event.

It very much sounds like the kind of activities we should be offering to our (senior) cadets.