Who should own SOV's, as far as the V5 is concerned

Not necessarily. White fleet can only be used for authorised journeys. Social events that are not part of the main camp program need cleared through the MT section if you are using white fleet to transport The camp. I’ve never had an issue and always ping off an email to the MT section after I’ve spoken to them to make sure it’s documented.

I’m not risking 6 points or having to payout if I smash a white fleet bus up.

1 Like

Do ATC Sqns take out a separate insurance policy to cover accident/injury/liability similar to the CCF Association insurance scheme?

https://combinedcadetforce.org.uk/about-the-ccf/governance/ccfa-insurance

Nope. Not required, MOD indemnifys.

Ccf might be a requirement by government as on a school?

Although, that being said, the Corps does “suggest” (loosely) that CFAV and Staff Cadets consider taking out additional levels of protection for personal accident insurance. There are higher levels above the basic cover provided by the RAFAC which we can purchase, or indeed we are free to take out our own cover elsewhere.

The MOD indemnity only covers legal liability (i.e. where there has been negligence). It doesn’t cover injuries from general accidents relating to training, nor would it cover injuries to a CFAV deemed to be at fault for an accident. The separate insurance would do, much like fully comp insurance on your own car. I’d never do cadet activities without my own top-up insurance, partly for my own injuries but mainly because I don’t trust them not to hang me out to dry if something goes wrong so I need my own indemnity cover.

5 Likes

What he said ^ - if the MOD determines that you failed to dot every i and cross every t (think Kaylee McIntosh), and that you are therefore liable for your own injuries, the ACFA/CCFA scheme will still pay out and they will still find you a lawyer.

Erm, I’m not sure they will.

As I understand it, if you break a leg on an authorised activity, we are covered up to a certain level for personal injury only - eg Break a leg, and get £1000. All the extra insurance does is increase that level - so instead of receiving £1000, you get £5000.*

I don’t recall any mention of legal costs on the flyer we get every year (but I could be wrong), and it doesn’t offer third party liability insurance. Its down to you to fund your own legal costs, should it come to that.

• Not actual figures
1 Like

Definitely does cover legal help (separate policy) as of the email I received from CCFA on 15 Nov.

Though I note they only pay up if they think you have a 51% or better chance of winning…

Standard legal expenses policy

I followed the link, and had a peek at their schedule of benefits, and couldn’t see any suggestion of legal cover - although looking again, I can see the one they link to on the website is 2016 - 2017, so I’m guessing it’s been amended?

I can’t really send you a copy but trust me, the cover exists!