Where do i stand?

In terms of where i stand in relation to seeing and discussing the outcome of an investigation re a member of staff within my child’s squadron? (I was the instigator).
So far i have had little to no input, feedback or acknowledgement of any emails i have sent throughout this entire process, which started in March of this year. And yes i am aware that i could not be privvy to any of the investigative process so as not to prejudice it but…here are a snap shot of a couple things i am concerned/unsure of

1. my child was interviewed without my knowledge or consent with no appropriate adult chaperone in the room with them, only a Cdt Sgt who also happens to be on good terms with the suspended member of staff.
  2. i thought suspension meant the member of staff could not be on squadron grounds or around cadets and yet this was not the case.

I could go on about other concerns i have re this whole process but i want to try and be as vague as possible because i am losing faith that Air Cadets as an organisation and those dealing with this issue are going to act with integrity and it will simply be whitewashed.
I am deeply concerned that they do not wish to acknowledge there may be an issue within the squadron and with this member of staff, because that may cause a wider reaching ripple affect.
I did not start this process lightly and it appears to being bandied about that i started it for somewhat nebulous reasons.

Can someone tell me what my rights are? Where I stand and how can i go forward with all this?

Apologies for the length. Thank you.

PM inbound

Pm’d you back Bob.

1 Like

Quick question who interview led your child??

It was a Sqd Ldr.

I would then speak to the wing and ask for the investigating sqn ldr to contact you and discuss with them directly. Also raise any issues you have regarding the member of staff attending sqn etc.

Speaking direct to that Sqn Ldr would be the best course and stop any miss communication.

2 Likes

Yes i have tried both of those suggestions in regards to speaking with/to the relevant people. So far, at this current moment in time, i have had no response from them.

How long have you waited for a response on this?
How did you make the request? Email? Recorded letter? Phoning the Wing HQ?

There should have been an Investigating Officer appointed, who should have made contact.

Email OC Wing direct (OC.****@aircadets.org) and ask for explanation; if nothing go to Region.

2 Likes

In my experience you need to jump up and down on the Corps to get a response… there was (and I suspect still is) a train of thought that if they ignore you long enough you may go away!

The Corps has learnt nothing in the last ten years that I am aware of except to remove some of the redress procedures open to ‘some’ personnel…

I would suggest persisting until you get a response and then persisting until you get an answer that shows some sense of them caring!!!

1 Like

It should be the Wing Ex O before Region really, they hold the keys for investigations.

My advice would be to call up the Wing Ex O and ask for a status update on the investigation and lodge your concerns. Sending a follow up email is always good for tracking too!

But surely the WExO and OC Wing are working closely together, and Region is next in CoC.

1 Like

Which will in cases I know of get you nowhere.

1 Like

The Wing XO is the first port of call as they are supposedly the professional Civilian Servant, the Wing CO is just a volunteer like all the rest of us.

With a civil service mindset of sloath obfuscate disemble and being economical with the truth remember the words of Sir Robert Armstrong in the Spycatcher case.

I can’t see why the belly aching over the time line (whatever it is) as anyone who has been involved in something like this will be fully aware of how quick things move, not because people are being deliberately slow, but because we are all volunteers and as we all stand by our real life takes precedence over any internal Air Cadet matter.
IMO many of these could be settled with a chat and apology, unless it something that is breaking a law and subject to proper judicial process, in which case it should be handed over to the authorities for their consideration.

A lot of the investigations i’ve done are he said she said type. The new ACP 20 gives a lot more info on mediation now to avoid the formal investigation route.

You would hope that mediation would be the first route and staff take this as route one.

I’ve had staff say something in the heat of the moment or at a time when the guards are down, cadet gets upset (lord knows why) mentions something to mum/dad, next thing parents come in rambling about something I know nothing of wanting blood. In each occasion I’ve been able to talk them down, speak to the staff to find out what was said or done and TBH they hadn’t realised it would be taken that way. I get them to apologise to the cadet as they were the ones who got upset and things move on. I do say to cadets though if you go through life getting upset at the slightest thing people say that you don’t and take it down these routes, you are not going to have a settled time. Having said that I do feel it’s the parents and not the cadets who get upset and they should know better.