When to use RAFAC or RAF Air Cadets

Hi there,

From what I’ve gathered RAFAC is used to identify CCF(RAF) and the ATC in one group, such as it was with ACO.

It’s also used for ranks, such as Sgt Joe Bloggs RAFAC.

So when would you use RAF Air Cadets? Such as RAF Air Cadets - Drill and Ceremonial, or would it be RAFAC Drill and Ceremonial?

Help would be much appreciated, thanks.

The RAF Air Cadets (RAFAC) consists of the Air Training Corps (ATC) and Combined Cadet Force RAF (CCF(RAF)).

RAFAC is led by an Full Time Reserve Service (FTRS) Air Commodore, and it’s HQ is at RAF Cranwell.

As with any abbreviation it depends on the audience.

I’m asking more for the use that they’re used in? So when would you use RAFAC and when would you use RAF Air Cadets?

Will the audience understand the term RAFAC, if not then use RAF Air Cadets.

Internal = RAFAC
External = RAF Air Cadets / Royal Air Force Air Cadets

When talking about a uniform CFAV it’s always Rank Name RAFAC

2 Likes

Pretty much this and the rest of the comment. Like a dejargonification as with any other niche acronym or term.

2 Likes

I know HQAC are a bit overboard sometimes but surely a fully rigged panzerdivision is a step too far?

2 Likes

What’s this?

I have amended the two spelling mistakes.

I genuinely thought it was a way people USED to refer to the ‘wider ACO’

… … ‘ACOx’

“You’ve used ACO, now try ACOx… faster, stronger, more efficient, clear your limescale now.”

I will go take my tablets now. :rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

3 Likes

Wasn’t aware that the Commandant’s title had formally changed.

Also don’t really understand why it was, we’re still the air cadets. The Commandant wasn’t Commandant Air Cadet Organisation prior to the rebrand.

1 Like

Yeah, I was puzzled when I read that. Neither title trips off the tongue.

3 Likes

Or makes for a decent acronym. I liked saying CACWO almost as much as Bluestone 42 liked WISWO.

RAFACComdtsWO doesn’t work.

7 Likes

I find it hilarious that they put an announcement on sharepint to tell us about the CACWO but never did this for the commandant :thinking:

5 Likes

As I understand it, the Commandant didn’t like the initialism “CAC” because it sounds like “cack”, used as a synonym for something particularly poor in quality.

So CAC became “Commandant RAF Air Cadets” and naturally someone decided that the CACWO title had to change as well.
Quite why we couldn’t have gone with “Corps WO” I don’t know.

1 Like

Crafac just sounds like the brand name for a dodgy medicine being flogged on US daytime TV.

Because the acronym then is CWO and that’s already established as meaning something in the air cadets?

2 Likes

True, and I suspect that very reason was probably discussed in far too much detail.
It doesn’t need an initialism of course. He could just have been the “Corps WO”; never shortened to “CWO”. The chosen title doesn’t have an initialism either - the approved shortened version being “RAFAC Comdt’s WO”.

so close to be CRAC

Because that would be ATC WO, not RAFAC WO? Or am I missing something

1 Like

I have no doubt that the minds on here will find a suitably unsubtle acronym or such for these positions.
:smiling_imp:

1 Like

Time to just disband the CCF (RAF) and bring them into the ATC like proper cadets and CFAVs maybe?
:smiley: