What would my squadron do

I want to tell some of my squadron staff that I’m self harming, but would they tell my parents? I would ask them not to but I need to know if they would because if they would then I can’t tell them.

Like is there scenarios where they can’t, what do I have to say in order for them not to

I’m on an alt account so nobody I know will know who this is

The best guidance we can provide on confidentiality is the organisation’s confidentiality policy, which can be found here:

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircadets/raf-aircadets/assets/File/Air%20Cadets%20Confidentiality%20promise%20poster.pdf

"What happens if you want to tell us about something that may be worrying you or is of immediate concern, but you want to keep it in confidence?

*The first thing you need to know is that RAFAC is completely committed to providing a safe environment for all cadets, staff cadets, staff and CFAV. We understand that it is important that you feel you can trust us when you wish to approach someone with a concern or worry you may have, either about yourself or someone else. *

If you approach us with a worry or concern, any information you give to an adult will be treated as sensitive and confidential and will not be shared (only sometimes, if we are really worried about you or someone else’s safety, will we need to tell someone else, examples of this are noted further along).*

If you tell an adult something which is worrying you, adults will take what you have said seriously, they will listen to you and may take notes to clarify things you’ve said. They may ask if another adult can sit in, this is just to make sure that everything you say will be remembered and to give you as much support as possible, as we understand that it can be difficult to talk about worries either for yourself or someone else (if you don’t want this, you may ask instead: to have a close friend with you, someone else you trust or you may prefer no one else to be there)."

We cannot give an absolute promise of confidentiality, and there are exceptions:

“If the adult believes that you, or another person, is in danger or is being harmed or that they are involved, or plan to become involved in acts of terrorism (or other criminal acts). In this case, we will tell you that the information has to be shared with the appropriate agencies, we will try and encourage you to agree with this and support you and we will tell you who we have told and what we have told them. Adults cannot promise confidentiality and can never keep secrets which are of a safeguarding concern or that suggest someone is suffering harm.”

4 Likes