What to expect at first AC meeting?

Tomorrow is my first day at Air Cadets and I don’t know what I should wear, given that I haven’t got a uniform. I don’t know I should do my hair and I don’t know what’s going to happen when I get there. I’m really nervous, please help! What will generally happen? Any do’s/don’ts? Thanks

Wear normal clothes, (eg jeans and a tshirt) and do whatever with your hair. It really doesn’t matter.
When you get there you’ll likely speak to the staff with your parents then be shown around and introduced to the activity of the night. Don’t overthink too much, once you get there you’ll realise it’s not as scary as you think :slight_smile:

Enjoy it, it really is a great organisation

I’m really surprised that your Squadron had not informed you when you first met/contacted them.
My squadron ask their new recruits to wear their school uniform, as it is smart, but of course that will be different with other squadrons

I’d advise you wear smart casual clothes, not a t-shirt with way out images/logos, just a plain one.
And clean smart trousers.
Just remember, you will make friends very quickly and treat it like the first day at secondary school, confusing at first, but you will soon feel part of the squadron

As @Cadet04 said, don’t overthink it, walk in with an open mind, and be excited! Depending on whether the OC (Officer Commanding (basically the ‘leader’ of the Squadron)) knows you’re attending you May have a quick welcome chat with him/her or one of the NCO’s (People with the stripes on their shoulders) to answer any questions you have. Another place to answer any questions you have is of course here!

Good Luck and Welcome to the Corps,
AMW

You won’t have to worry about hair and everything until you get your uniform. There were recently new intakes in my sqn who were given green coveralls until they hand in their forms. Just wear something comfy and casual.

To add onto my earlier post, be excited but remember to treat the organisation with respect. I doubt somebody as proactive as you, looking for ACC before even joining, would cause any trouble but my Squadron have had some difficult cadets recently, which as a Corporal can be difficult to deal with. As long as you treat everyone with respect, you’ll learn a lot about more than you ever expected. I know it’s a cliché but the more you put in, the more you’ll get out, I can say from experience!Air Cadets is an experience you’ll never forget.

Once again, good luck!
AMW

P.S. Clothes aren’t that big of a deal for recruits, just turn up in something smart casual but unless your OC has specified something, I wouldn’t worry about it!
P.P.S. Does anyone know the term for a cadet before 2nd Class Cadet? I’ve heard Recruit, Junior Cadet, Cadet Recruit and just no rank in 2 years in the Corps. Any of you AP/ACP readers know the official term?

I wouldn’t suggest jeans and a t-shirt; I would say school uniform, as long as it’s clean and smart.

I wouldn’t wear school uniform unless I’d been told to, you don’t want to be the weirdo who turned up in School Uniform when everyone else is smart casual.

None of the Squadrons I’ve been on as a Cadet or Staff have ever expected or wanted new recruits to come in anything other than civvies.

1 Like

The Classifications on the Sqn Management System are
Junior Cadet
Second Class Cadet
Then First Class Cadet etc

A lot of Sqns do use Recruit for people who’ve just started, but if they are recorded on SMS, then their Classification will be Junior Cdt

Hope that helps

1 Like

I’ve been a CI for near 10 months and I’ve only had to wear shirt and tie for parades our Sqn has been to. With new cadets they turn up in civvies, we have only had a handful of new cadets join in my time and once their details have been filled in by parents then the next parade nights they are asked to wear school uniform unless told otherwise.

Wear absolutely whatever you want on the first night because you’ll soon be told what to wear and how to wear it, just like the RAF.

3 Likes

@Cadet04 @Trev @AMW @Tesla @romeo_bravo @daws1159 @WestlandScout @WelshScoose @rocket_scientist
Thanks everyone for your help! I just came back from my first meeting and it was a little rocky. I enjoyed it, though, and I’m looking forward to going again. Thank you!

5 Likes