What roles exist on your squadron?

It would be interesting to understand what roles there are on different Sqns. I bet some Sqns have some more obscure/different roles!

Some to start:
OC
Training
Adjutant

I believe the above are all mandatory for ATC. Do CCF (RAF) have any mandatory position, other than OC.

Others include;
Sqn Warrant Officer
2IC
Aviation
Radio
BTECs/Qualifications
Leadership
Staff development
Cadet development
Fieldcraft
First Aid

1 Like

Multiple roles depends massively on the person. A retired, single person without a squadron could handle two or three wing/region/HQAC roles.

A squadron OC, with four young kids, a busy job and staff shortages on the squadron? Probably shouldnā€™t even take one extra role on.

2 Likes

ftfy :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I did consider editing to that lol

1 Like

I am a retired single person with a Wing Staff Role. There is no way I would have time to take on other Wing/Region/HQAC roles. Thatā€™s just pie in the sky.

Iā€™ve seen people constantly take things on and increase their signature block but donā€™t actually succeed.

At 2 separate points the same person had this collection;

WWO / WgSports / OC Sqn
WWO / Adj123 / OC456

All 3 roles suffer.

We have what we call primary roles and supernumerary roles. Some primary roles are less full on than others but anything more than 2 roles is too much, unless youā€™ve no other commitments (work/family)

2 Likes

Missing HSO and Fire Officer off the list, both detailed in the Sqn H&S statement

On my unit Iā€™m 2IC, Flying&Gliding, Leadership, & H&S.
Thatā€™s enough.

Thatā€™s fair enough. It depends on the roles as well as the person.

The only ones we refer to on the sqn are:

OC
Adj
Trg
DofE

(no SNCO-related role, because we donā€™t have a SNCO on the unit). DofE is split away from Training because of the staff interests. Even with these, every member of staff has a role.

Yep
ā€¦ seems just about to some a growing minority upā€¦

ā€˜Look at me, look how much Iā€™m failing atā€™

We need a Contingent Commander (can be from any service), an SSI (can be from any service) who kind of acts as the Adj for the whole contingent. If you have more than one section you also need a section commander for each. If youā€™re big enough then one of those section commanders MAY be appointed as Deputy Contingent Commander. Otherwise no mandatory roles.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never understood this one.

My default has the list of them all and I delete all but the relevant one before sending.

1 Like

On my last unit I used to run with:

OC
Adj
Training Officer
SNCO Drill & Discip
DofE
AT
Band
Shooting

All as staff roles, If a member of Staff had a second ā€œjobā€ as it were like Health and Safety I as much as possible just incorporated it into the Terms of Reference for their main role. (So the Adjutant for example had all the H&S ToR included in their role). 1 job title, 1 set of ToRs, 1 email signature.

I had things like the Radio Geek held by a Cadet NCO but they just reported to the Training Officer.

The only double hat was the Training Officer/Band was the same person and they were kept as described separate jobs as Band on moved a lot of external comms to do and it was easier if they knew they wanted the Band Officer.

4 jacks of all trades. What role am I doing tonight?

1 Like

Iā€™ve been really clear with my new appointment I wonā€™t be double hatting. Mostly cause I have a life outside of cadets but yeahā€¦want to be great at one role not half decent at a few.

3 Likes

On my unit, Iā€™m 2IC/Adjutant and First Aid. Thatā€™s enough and sometimes barely manageable alongside my life.

We donā€™t officially hand out roles but Iā€™m SC/Training Officer/BTEC officer/Aviation(though thatā€™s a non-role at they moment)

1 Like

Iā€™m keeping an eye on adj email until we get our new shiny officer in uniform, then they will do that, leadership and fieldcraft.

I currently have fire, the Elf an Safetee cos no one else would do it :frowning:

OC has training officer, First aid and radios. We have a WO who does the drill and sorts the flying and gliding out.

We have a couple of CIā€™s who mix what they do if they turn up with sports and general lessons. Saying this, it could all change next month should we get any new staff that have taken an interest in joining :man_shrugging:

Iā€™m Training Officer & DofE as primary roles, once I have more qualifications Iā€™ll probably be AT more broadly.

Most of the staff on my squadron are double or triple hatting in terms of squadron roles, but we donā€™t currently have any WSOs.