What Makes a GREAT NCO?

This thread popping back up got me thinking (and thinking back to something). Other promotion threads I can recall have focused on broad and generic advice for those with aspirations, but (I think) we haven’t covered the Maybelline angle in a standalone thread (maybe they’re born with it in possession of natural aptitude or traits that act as key indicators to future performance)

Aside from the obvious (DDU, volunteering, experience, reliability, etc) what “X Factor” do you look for/see and what traits do you favour?

As for my thinking back, within 6 months of them joining, I picked out that our previous CWO “would be a CWO if they stick around”. They ended up doing far more besides that, but those that excel… really excel!

So:

1. What would make you pick out a rookie as doing really well in the future?
  2. All else equal between two high quality candidates, what would give preference to one promotion candidate over another(*)?

(*“I would just bend the structure and promote both” being discounted for this little hypothetical)

1 Like

Empathy, initiative and a presence

• with the caveat being a presence doesn’t have to be loud. There are some fantastic but quiet NCOs out there.

Somebody who always turns up smart, listens to and reacts to what they are told and has when they get it, their uniform squared away within three to four weeks of receiving it. Always a good starting place.

Someone who actively improves / develops themselves. Proactively chases opportunities.

I find that feeds into the rest.

2 Likes

Possibly controversial: someone who will break the rules to get the job done, but mostly chooses not to.

I’ve never known anyone who follows all the rules all the time to make CWO.

I used to adopt the stance that you can’t break one rule and expect others to follow all of them — or your orders.

I’ve softened with age, but still think it can leave you vulnerable, especially if you’re dealing with well-meaning cadets who see the world in black and white.

2 Likes

All good thoughts. @bob 's requirement would be a minimum for me for promotion to LCpl - we are lucky having that rank as a starting point. For Cpl: an ability to look after others (a Cpl for me would be in charge of a Flt, usually); for higher ranks, a willingness to go above and beyond to make the cadet experience better for other cadets (or staff!) rather than for themselves.

I must admit, with the inclusion of LCpl for the RAF Regt, I think it’s a shame LCpl isn’t available to the ATC.

It could be a very good stepping stone for senior cadets who just need to take a more active role “looking after their muckers and setting an example”.

2 Likes

Yes, we’ve always found it (and JCpl which older people will remember) useful. As you say it’s a low level but it encourages taking some responsibility and maturity.

1 Like

The ones who care? The ones who’ll get their team, squad or flight thro something? The ones who look out for the last, the lost and the least? The ones who look about them instead of memorising every ACP?

3 Likes