What does being gazetted mean in terms of a VRT commission?

I’ve heard people talking about being gazetted in the commission process but am not sure what it means in terms of a VRT commission. Thanks for help.

It means the name and service number appear in the London Gazette under Military’s appointments. The London Gazette is the only official list to announce appointments, claims, etc and is legally recognised as the “last attempt option”.

1 Like

An individual is said to be gazetted in the rank of Pilot Officer as a consequence of having been formally-appointed to a commission in (currently) the Training Branch of the RAFVR for service with the RAF Air Cadets (and in the future, for service [B]in[/B] the RAF Air Cadets).

This appointment to a commission (Queen’s Commission or a future Cadet Forces Commision) is following successful completion of filter interviews and the RAFAC OASC initial selection process, and this date is shown in the London Gazette (with rank being shown as Plt Off, unless previous qualifying service permits the candidate to be appointed at Fg Off).

At present, successful commissioning candidates from appointment onwards are known as Officer Cadets within RAFAC, and wear OCdt white slides with VRT pins. However, outwith RAFAC they are referred to as Plt Officers. At all times (within and outwith RAFAC) they are saluted and given the courtesies of a commissioned officer, because that is their appointed/gazetted status.

Currently within one year of appointment to a commission, candidates are required to attend and pass the RAFAC IOC at ATF. At this point their commissions are confirmed (ie as per the original Gazette entry dated approx 18months previously).

There are believed to be no indications that the Gazette process will change following the move to Cadet Forces Commissions in the RAF Air Cadets, but please be guided by official guidance on this (however, I [U]think[/U] I have seen pictures somewhere of OCdt RAFAC rank-slides over-stitched with Plt Off braid, which would be a logical development).

2 Likes