What are the essential things you look for when promoting?

I throw myself into everything I can, I’ve passed my Blue Leadership (Fingers crossed for bronze soon), have a fair amount of badges, have good upkeep of uniform and have sound attendance. Im enjoying everything about the RAFAC, Ive made some good mates, and Cpl is definetly a goal for me. Its not a neccesity, but I’d like to leave a positive imprint on some future cadet’s days. I was wondering, is there anything that most staff members look out for in cadets?

That sounds like you’re doing a lot of the right things to me, although all staff will have different opinions.

One of the key things for an NCO is demonstrating leadership ability. You have the theory and some practice from blue/bronze, but start to put that into practice on the squadron.

Look at Cpls you have around you. What do they do on a parade night? How can you help them?

The other thing is to politely ask your staff. Find a suitable moment (canteen would probably be my preference) and ask them what they would like to see from you.

This does two things: it gives you the answer to your question, but it also makes sure you’re at the front of their mind when they come to consider promotions.

This is so nice to read. There’s so much you can get out of being a cadet - don’t get too worried about promotion. If it’s right for you, the time will come.

1 Like

Main thing that I look for is that emotional intelligence & understanding of the role of Corporal i.e. motivating & encouraging the cadets to take part, not considering it as a tick box badge to get & that it is a role to help run the Sqn.

The role of Cpl is volunteering for extra responsibilities so knowing what is expected & what is needed is key (not looking for what it states in the ACPs, I can read that myself but what is actually needed on the ground). Attendance needs to be good but also an appreciation of how the extra responsibilities are also going to be balanced with home/school life shows that you’ve properly thought about the role.

Each CO has a preferred style - some like the old school rigid disciplinarian, others like the extrovert hooray-Henry type with witty banter, some just the quiet ones who do what they’re told without questioning.

My preference tends to be for the free thinkers who like to think out side the box & willing to ask for explanation & suggest other ways of doing things. The cadet NCOs need to be able toward how to manage upwards & go to the CO & say when they think things are amiss & other a solution on how to solve things. A Cpl who just nods along and says yes all the time, & tells me what they think I want to hear isn’t as helpful to me as a NCO who pipes up when they think we aren’t delivering for Cadets.

I had one NCO cdt Sgt who when she heard that the sector Cdr was coming down, asked to chat with me first - then gave me an itemised list of concerns that she wanted me to raise which we then discussed. Whilst it did feel a little odd having this 16 year old NCO acting (respectfully) like a union shop steward, all the concerns were legitimate, well justified & actually permitted me to push the sector Cdr further on the issues already on my list. Happy CO & Happy SNCO (& no picket lines at the AFI which is always a plus point and tends to go down well).

If this is your main motivation for promotion then fab - you are already working with the right attitude needed. It will probably help to have a chat with the other cadet NCOs as you will be working in their team (I would suggest the middle ranking sgts) & your CO on what they are looking for - at the very least it means your CO knows that you would like to be considered.

Hope this all helps but as said above - it will come in time but you are already well on the way there.

1 Like

Things I look for.

1. Do you attend at least 6 out of 8 parades.

2. Are you keen, get stuck in, non whingeing.

3. Do you understand the role of Cpl.

4. Are you smart, courteous, well presented.

5. Can you control a group of 6 to 8 cadets.

6. Do you have the respect of your peers.

7. If I or another staff member asks you to execute a basic task, can you do this under your own steam, using initiative as necessary.

I would class a top end Cpl task as something like either:
A. Split the Sqn into 4 equal groups based on classification. Issue each cadet their blue badge log book.
B. Use these 5 cadets to litter pick the Sqn HQ, then after arrange with CI blogs to use the Sqn simulator on the flight crew exercise.

The above is only a guide and everyone has their own ideas.

But basically it all boils down to.

Are you a good cadet and capable.