Weirdest items in your stores

[quote=“MikeJenvey” post=16795][quote=“steve679” post=16794]

we have an old sextant looking item in its original box…it is probably worth a pretty penny although could be scrap and as much good as a paperweight…[/quote]

What type or design? Any markings or serials numbers? On FleaBay, they are worth a few ££, maybe up to £100 - £150 depending on type or age, etc. Experienced their use on Vulcans![/quote]I was taught to use them for my A Level Air Navigation exam. Got to used one for real on flight to Ascension in a Herc from Brize. (and got it right shooting off stars)

[quote=“arkane” post=16865][quote=“jacques” post=16861]We have an old film reel projector and the speakers to go with it.

We think it was issued, not privately purchased.[/quote]

We have a projector too but no speakers.

We do have a film called ‘Operation Backstage’ from (I think) the Royal Air Force Cinema Corporation. Anybody know anything about this?[/quote]

Sounds dodgy as anything…

Actually, that has reminded me.
We did have a selection of 16mm training films. Look to be from the 60s at first glance though I’ve not viewed them.

Interestingly, they all feature 3 or 4 ‘subliminal’ frames of pretty women in swimwear tucked away in the leader…

We also have a chock and a tail from a Provost i think, we also had an ejector seat somewhere but haven’t seen it for a while now.

Have you got Dr FOD and Miss Wayward Body? A very fine film, not very PC, but . . .

I don’t believe so… :frowning:
Sounds like a classic.

I think I know where I’ve stored the film cans, if I get a chance today I’ll dig them out and photograph the frames.

Does one of you with 16mm film have a 16mm projector to go with it? If so please PM me…

One of the staff at my school (ex-RAF, very ex) has five reels of 16mm footage from the 1960s taken with his helmet cam. He’d like to get the good bits digitised but doesn’t know what’s on what reel. He’s reluctant to pay the exorbitant cost of having all 5 digitised only to find that four are rubbish. The only projectors we have been able to find locally are 8mm.

A loan of a projector could save him a lot of wasted money!

An ejection seat from a Valiant, one of those used during Operation Grapple apparently.

EDIT: Correction the Valiant was used for the Blue Steel tests not Grapple.

37mm Baton Rounds… Nope, no idea…

Have you got Dr FOD and Miss Wayward Body? A very fine film, not very PC, but . . .[/quote]

I have been looking for this for years! watched in Training

It’s on Youtube…

It certainly is Matt, 3 parts as well!!

Trying to sort out links!

In the interests of research:

This certainly reminds me of the some of the other films of the era I’ve got on Super 8…

Dr FOD was imprinted on my mind as an impressionable 16 year old embrking on my avionics trining, then there was ‘The man from LOX’, it certainly got the point across.