Wearing stable belt with MTP

Would it be ok to wear a stable belt with MTP on a visit to a RAF base? I have heard different things about this. What counts as barrack dress?

It mentions in the dress regs that you can. If you’re conducting any physical excercise or field training then it’s a good idea to wear a greens belt. Ultimately it will be decided by your SNCO or CO so it’s best to talk to them and see what the crack is

Ok for barrack dress, not ok field or range.

It can be worn whenever you are not “in the field, on exercise”.

By the book it’s perfectly fine on a range, but frankly, I wouldn’t choose to wear one there because you’ll get it grubby.

ahh but what about a “Barrack range” - as was an argument i heard when shooting…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

I loves it I do.

Where exactly is “barrack dress” defined? It seems like another term dragged in from service life (I would assume from the army) and is not necessarily useful to us. No wonder the confusion.

The current wording in 1358C says they are “for non physical activities” and “they are not to be worn in the field or on exercise”. To me this looks like they are permitted for shooting, but you risk getting it messy/scratched.

see i agree completely brought from service life

“barrack dress” i read as = walking about/working (at a desk) on Station/base

anything else is “physical activities” - there is an argument that shooting, lying the in the prone position is no different to sitting at a desk, but it is “physical” in that persons lie down, stand up, inspect targets, clean weapons - this is more than working at a desk.

it then brings into question if working at a desk - lets say for a classroom training course, why be in No3s when it should be No2s as a default being classroom based?

If lying down, wandering around, peering at stuff etc. is “physical activity” then my lifestyle is far more active that I had been supposing!

7 Likes

It is rather vague - but I’d read ‘physical activities’ as things such as obstacle courses or battle PT.

No 3 as barrack dress I’d think was ideal for activities such as first aid, weapons training and practical leadership tasks.

1 Like

Think: why am I wearing no. 3s?

If it’s for the right reason - fieldcraft, shooting, physical activities, mucky activities - then you shouldn’t be wearing a stable belt.
If you aren’t doing those activities, why aren’t you in blues?

For me, this means I virtually never wear a stable belt in greens, unless I am trying to make the Army section like me.

3 Likes