Wearing of Uniform with medical injury

I was wondering the general guidance on wearing uniform with an injury, such as a broken arm or injury to the leg in a boot. Any Guidance would be appreciated. We have two cadets who have sprained their ankles and are now in a medical boot and were wondering what to do about uniform

If they can wear uniform without it impacting their injury, I would let them. If they can’t, don’t.

Make reasonable adjustments for them. Ask what they feel comfortable doing/wearing.

2 Likes

As above.

I have known Cadets with arms in casts in uniform and indeed on crutches, but only because they could do so.

Obviously their involvement on Squadron was limited to what is suitable (no drill in crutches obvs)

I would advise them to wear greens if they are able to, would be more stable and offer more support for the uninjured ankle than parade shoes. The medical boots tend to make it hard to balance anyhow.

If that doesn’t work then civvies.

Besides seeing plenty of SP in uniform with injuries (including LBdr Ben Parkinson in a wheelchair), AP 818 includes a clause about saluting with the left hand if the right arm is injured.

1 Like

I personally am in a boot at the moment following foot surgery, I have been wearing greens.

As said above. Mtps would offer more support and civvies might make things easier for them. Lets hope its a swift recovery!
Welcome to the forum by the way.

Best thing is communicate with the person. Talk them through it. It’s not all about wearing the uniform when a person is injured. It’s about the preparation of it and actually putting the uniform on. Sometimes it will be easier for that person to have easy slip on clothes or go in the clothes they’ve been in previously.

1 Like

Always used to be the case that cadets with foot injuries could wear uniform with footwear appropriate to the injury and only alllowed to participate in activities that were compatible with the injury, eg no drill, sports etc.

Cadets with arms in a cast were allowed to parade in uniform, if required with the injured arm inside the jumper until such time as they could wear the jumper normally.

Exercising a modicum of common sense, always with the cadet’s health and recovery as the primary consideration, should allow units to reach a reasonable compromise between regulations, attendance and participation.

3 Likes